Working on Nepas Bacon Jerky

Started by westexasmoker, July 15, 2009, 08:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

The new door hasan't arrived yet, so I southern engineered the old one with a decking screw, kinda works!  ;D  Anyway ever since Nepas posted the bacon jerky I've been dying to try it.  Had a pound of Wrights bacon in the fridge so what the heck!  I did'nt have the hanging hooks, so just layed it out on the racks on the high temp screens, smoke rolling, temp @ 150!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

mikeradio

Are you going to finish the bacon jerky in the BS or do you have a dehydrator.  I would also love to try the bacon jerky, but I only have the BS.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Might have a few questions for you later on when its done.  ;D  ;D
Mike

westexasmoker

Quote from: mikeradio on July 15, 2009, 09:27:55 AM
Are you going to finish the bacon jerky in the BS or do you have a dehydrator.  I would also love to try the bacon jerky, but I only have the BS.

Mike

Going into the dehydrator, I don't have a fancy one, its just the round one you can pick up at Wal-mart.  You could probably finish in the BS, Nepas would have the definitive answer on that though!

C

westexasmoker

After 2 hours in the smoker @ 150

And into the dehydrator

C

NePaSmoKer

Looks good wts

mike

You can do it in your smoker all the way. Just use the smoke gen for heat, open your vent full and now water in the pan. You might be looking at 15 to 20 hours. The trick is to not render the fat out to fast.

nepas

mikeradio

Thank you Nepas, what do you want to keep the box temperature at ?  I have a PID and I also picked up the exhaust fan (the same one you have) which will help to move the air.

Mike

mikecorn.1

Sorry to barge in on your thread here. Do you have to do anything with the bacon when you put it in the smoker. Or is it out the package into the smoker. I also have one of them there plastic dehydrators from walmart. About how long should you put them in there for. How do you know its done. Thanks.  :)
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mikeradio on July 15, 2009, 11:25:31 AM
Thank you Nepas, what do you want to keep the box temperature at ?  I have a PID and I also picked up the exhaust fan (the same one you have) which will help to move the air.

Mike

You wont need pid on this. The fan is a good idea to pull the heat up and out. The box temp from just the smoke gen should be around 100* or so.

mikecorn.1

I found that thick cut bacon works best. You want to start low with temps to render the fat out slow. The dehydrator from wallymart will work. Do you have a setting dial on it? If so start out at like 100* and go to 150* Try not to use too much salt cuz the bacon is already salty. You can tell when its done by the dryness. NOTE: It wont feel or break like beef jerky because of the fat content. Blot the done bacon jerky between paper towels to remove surface fat and oil.

nepas

nepas

easyridinole

WTS, What kind of smoke is that rolling out of there? Maple?!!!  ;D :D

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

westexasmoker

Quote from: easyridinole on July 15, 2009, 12:56:32 PM

Ole

Maple??..Thats what they make furniture out of...Right??  ;D

C

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: westexasmoker on July 15, 2009, 01:12:37 PM
Quote from: easyridinole on July 15, 2009, 12:56:32 PM

Ole

Maple??..Thats what they make furniture out of...Right??  ;D

C

:D  :D

The double "M" word

Maaaaaaple

MeeeeeMeeeeeMeeeeesquite

must be smoke in me brain  :D

nepas

mikecorn.1

Hey Nepas. The dehydrator that i got from walmart , doesnt have a temp control, just an on and off button.  :(   cant complain, my brother is giving it to me.  will this make a difference.  ???
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on July 15, 2009, 06:30:05 PM
Hey Nepas. The dehydrator that i got from walmart , doesnt have a temp control, just an on and off button.  :(   cant complain, my brother is giving it to me.  will this make a difference.  ???

You should be ok mike. Just keep an eye on it once or twice.

nepas

westexasmoker

Forgot to post after it came out of the dehydrator....this is today after the night in the fridge...spent almost 10 hours in the dehydrator

C