• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Shuttle and Space Station Watching

Started by Caribou, July 15, 2009, 03:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Hi Guys,
Just wanted to share a NASA site with you all that let's you know when and where in the sky you can see the shuttle or space station
You can search the dates and times for where you live in the world.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html
Once the shuttle docks with the space station it is quite a large object and very easy to see.
I love this kind of stuff!
Carolyn

FLBentRider

Speaking of the shuttle
We spent the weekend in Cape Canaveral in the RV trying to watch the Launch.

Friday - Hail and lightning storm - caused postpone of Saturday launch. - cooked burgers on charcoal in the rain.
Saturday - weather was great. - no launch - rib eyes on the grill
Sunday - storms roll in - no launch - resked for Monday. - sign up for another night @ the RV park.
Monday - storms roll in - launch cancelled with 15 minutes to go. resked for Wednesday. Work won't tolerate another 2 days out. (took Friday off too)

Wednesday - Watch the Shuttle go up on TV. - Can't see it from my house - too many clouds.

We're glad it got to orbit without incident.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

beefmann

always try to look in the sky for the shuttle and space station when they are over head. never saw a launch live because im on the other coast .. though i have seen a few landings at edwards

Caribou

Sorry you didn't get to see it FBR. :(
I would love to see a launch someday.
I saw three shuttle landings at Edwards many years ago but never got to see it ride piggyback home on a 747.
Would have loved to seen that.
I've been watching the space station go by when we can.
The more they add to it the bigger it gets in the sky.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

When i worked for the USAF at Plant 42 in Palmdale the shuttle was being built at site 4. I got to see the first one piggyback and punch off the 747 right over my parents house.

Carolyn my wife was an Air Traffic controller at EAFB. We got VIP seats on top of the Tracon to watch it land many times. I seen many weird thing go on at EAFB, TJ, TTR, CLNWS. My wife is still an ATC at Allentown now.

I kinda miss the black programs  ;D

nepas

smokeitall

Thanks for the link Caribou, very cool.  Looks like a little after 11 is the next viewing here for me.  I am going to try and remember and hopefully the clouds will cooperate.
SIA

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 15, 2009, 07:57:37 PM
When i worked for the USAF at Plant 42 in Palmdale the shuttle was being built at site 4. I got to see the first one piggyback and punch off the 747 right over my parents house.

Carolyn my wife was an Air Traffic controller at EAFB. We got VIP seats on top of the Tracon to watch it land many times. I seen many weird thing go on at EAFB, TJ, TTR, CLNWS. My wife is still an ATC at Allentown now.

I miss the black programs  ;D

nepas
Cool Nepas!  Sounds like a dream job to see such great aircraft up close.
You and your wife are really interesting folks!  With many talents, too.
Smokeitall,
We are hoping the clouds clear outta here tonight, too.
It's 9:45PM viewing time for us here.
Carolyn

Ka Honu

nepas - I was a controller at Kona Tower and Honolulu Center from '78-'87.  With the 504th Infantry thing (and some SF time) this is getting too strange.

Lived in Indian Harbour Beach, FL, back in the early 70's.  Used to go buy a bushel of Indian River oysters (for $3), put a grill up in the driveway, and spend an occasional afternoon roasting oysters (just till they opened), drinking beer, and watching launches from Cape Canaveral (about 15 miles up the road).  Probably more spectacular launches these days but the oysters aren't $3 a bushel anymore.

Gizmo

I have to wait til next week for the elevation to be up high enough to see it.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

manxman

We watched it head across the Irish Sea between England and Ireland last night after picking up on the NASA website for our location yesterday........... absolutely amazing specially as it was only some 18 mins or so after take off.  :o

Visited the launch site in Florida last time we were in the US which made it all the more interesting.
Manxman

Caribou

I saw it last night, it was really bright.
I waved but I don't think they saw me. :D
Carolyn

deb415611

Cool Caribou,

I'm going to try to remember to look tomorrow night.

Deb

Ka Honu

Quote from: Caribou on July 16, 2009, 07:46:59 AM... I waved but I don't think they saw me.

So you were the one in the Bradley t-shirt and orange G-string they were talking about on the Space Channel this morning!

OU812

Quote from: Ka Honu on July 16, 2009, 09:04:53 AM
Quote from: Caribou on July 16, 2009, 07:46:59 AM... I waved but I don't think they saw me.

So you were the one in the Bradley t-shirt and orange G-string they were talking about on the Space Channel this morning!

That was funny  ;D ;D

Caribou

Quote from: OU812 on July 16, 2009, 09:13:26 AM
Quote from: Ka Honu on July 16, 2009, 09:04:53 AM

That was funny  ;D ;D
:D :D
That was funny!
But I haven't received my Bradley shirt yet so it couldn't have been me!
Carolyn