Jerky For Family

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 16, 2009, 04:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

My son in law said he wanted some jerky but didnt want to spend $40 for a pound at the Green Dragon (Farmers mkt in Ephrata PA)

I said for $40 i can make 5 pounds  ;D So he paid me the price of the meat and $15 per pound of jerky. I didnt want to take it but he scared me by saying he was going to send my daughter back home LOL  :D

Here is 2lbs of the 5 done. I sliced the other 3lbs thick like he wanted so its not done yet.

1 hour 20 mins of smoke at 160* then bumping to 170* and finishing at 180* took 6 hours for this 2lbs to get done with vent full open no water in pan. I used hickory. If the thicker jerky dont start to dry i will toss it in the big "C" dehydrator  ;D

nepas

FLBentRider

Looks great (as usual) NePas!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

Caribou

Looks great Nepas!
What a great father-in-law you are!
Carolyn

HawkeyeSmokes

Wow Nepas, you just convinced me I have to find time to make some jerky. Done some in the past (My previous life before Bradly Smoker) and it was better than what you can buy. Can only imagine how good it will be with it. Keep giving me ideas and making me hungry!  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

NePaSmoKer

This batch was fairly simple recipe.

Soy sauce
Worcestershire sauce
Ginger powder
Black pepper
White pepper
BBQ sauce
cayenne (opt)

I dont measure, just eye it and get a taste.

nepas

easyridinole

After seeing that picture I am going to have to really put some thought into the picture of myself with the new Bradley T-shirt!!  ;D ;)

Ole
Most people hate the taste of beer - to begin with. It is, however, a prejudice that many people have been able to overcome.     -WINSTON CHURCHILL-

telman

Looks great Nepas, I  stayed late yesterday, marinated 2KG beef, should be ready for this weekend  :)   

OU812

Looks good Nepa

All this whole mussel jerky you have ben making has me wanting to make some myself.

I normally make it out of ground deer.

Going to see whats on sale at the meat counter this weekend.

NePaSmoKer

Now if i could find the time to make some for myself  :D  ;D

nepas

OU812

Surely you have a big ol sample of every batch just to check if its good enough

mcintoshaudio

Hey Nepas,

Know you are worried about the rods in your smoker. Why not make a center prop out of 1X2's? Won't take up much space and is less expensive than buying new rods. Easily removable for anything else you have in mind ;)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mcintoshaudio on July 17, 2009, 05:19:11 PM
Hey Nepas,

Know you are worried about the rods in your smoker. Why not make a center prop out of 1X2's? Won't take up much space and is less expensive than buying new rods. Easily removable for anything else you have in mind ;)

Yeah i was thinking about doing something like that for support and making some 2x2 wooden slots for BS racks for like 20 racks on one side.

nepas

mcintoshaudio

Hey Nepas,

What size is the box you built? Do you use just 1 smoke generator?  I used my 6 rack DBS last weekend for the first time and can see I will probably need something with a larger capaity before long. I gave samples to many of my friends, and they are already willing to buy the meat and compensate my time in Crown Royal.  :P

P.S.  I drink alot of Crown Royal. I think I need more friends. :-\

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: mcintoshaudio on July 17, 2009, 07:14:31 PM
Hey Nepas,

What size is the box you built? Do you use just 1 smoke generator?  I used my 6 rack DBS last weekend for the first time and can see I will probably need something with a larger capaity before long. I gave samples to many of my friends, and they are already willing to buy the meat and compensate my time in Crown Royal.  :P

P.S.  I drink alot of Crown Royal. I think I need more friends. :-\

The box i have is about 4 1/2 ft high, 3 ft wide and 6 ft long. I use my OBS and PBS generators for diff smokes.
I also ave an old Excalibur dehydrator fan assy at one end.

The BPS generator

I also have a cold smoker i use, it really puffs the smoke.

I have it to my BS too

nepas