• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack Stick Recipe

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 17, 2009, 10:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Here is another stick recipe for ya'll

Spicy sticks for 10lbs (You can cut this to 5lbs too just half the ingredients)

9 lbs GB 85/15 or 90/10
1 lb ground pork (pork butt will work or pre ground)
5 T salt
2 tsp cure #1 (level tsp)
5 T powdered dextrose
1 tsp liq smoke
3 tsp celery powder
3 tsp nutmeg
3 tsp curry powder
3 tsp white pepper
1 cup cold distilled water
1 cup non fat dry milk
17 or 19mm collagen casings

Grind or mix pre ground meats together. Incorporate all dry ingredients with the water stir well. Pour mix into meat and mix very good. Next place meat mix into stuffer, Stuffing the casings to any length you wish. Refrigerate the stuffed casings in fridge overnite.

Pre heat your smoker to 130* (smoke gen on BUT NO SMOKE) vent 1/2 open, o water in the pan. Hang sticks for 1 hour or until the casings feel tacky. When sticks feel dry on the casine bump heat to 150* Start smoke for 2 hours. On the third hour increase the temp to 170* with 2 more hours of smoke. Continue with the 170* heat until the IT of the sticks reach 152-155*

Upon reaching the IT turn heat off (smoke gen too), Crack the door and let the sticks hang. Take the sticks out when they have a shrivel and are cool to the touch. No need to shower these. Cut sticks to the lenght you like and vac seal. They can freeze for 6 months. Note: if your going to refridgerate some sticks use a glass or plastic gallon container with holes in the top for air circulation. A sealed zip lock bag will create mold and spoilage.

enjoy

nepas

Tenpoint5

Thanks for another Nepas Secret Receipt!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 17, 2009, 11:08:06 AM
Thanks for another Nepas Secret Receipt!!

:D  :D

Anytime

nepas

OU812

Sounds good, never herd of useing curry powder what kind was it?

telman

deb415611

nepas,

Is 3 tsp of nutmeg correct?

Thank you for the recipe!  Spicy is what the kid wants.

Deb

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on July 17, 2009, 01:17:17 PM
nepas,

Is 3 tsp of nutmeg correct?

Thank you for the recipe!  Spicy is what the kid wants.

Deb

Yup
3 tsp

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is another for ya'll

Jalapeno sticks 10lbs This can be cut to a 5lb batch too

9lbs lean gb either 85/15 or 90/10
1lb pork butt or pre ground unseasoned pork
5 T salt
2 level tsp cure #1
4 T jalapeno pepper powder
4 T dehydrated jalapeno pepper. Its about 1/4 cup
4 T dehydrated bell pepper
2 T paprika
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp allspice
1 cup cold distilled water
1 cup non fat dry milk
17-19mm collagen casing or 26mm sheep or hog

Grind or mix pre ground meats together. Incorporate all dry ingredients with the water stir well. Pour mix into meat and mix very good and regrind through med plate. Next place meat mix into stuffer, Stuffing the casings to any length you wish. Refrigerate the stuffed casings in fridge overnite.

Pre heat your smoker to 130* (smoke gen on BUT NO SMOKE) vent 1/2 open, o water in the pan. Hang sticks for 1 hour or until the casings feel tacky. When sticks feel dry on the casine bump heat to 150* Start smoke for 2 hours. On the third hour increase the temp to 170* with 2 more hours of smoke. Continue with the 170* heat until the IT of the sticks reach 152-155*

Upon reaching the IT turn heat off (smoke gen too), Crack the door and let the sticks hang. Take the sticks out when they have a shrivel and are cool to the touch. No need to shower these. Cut sticks to the lenght you like and vac seal. They can freeze for 6 months. Note: if your going to refridgerate some sticks use a glass or plastic gallon container with holes in the top for air circulation. A sealed zip lock bag will create mold and spoilage. You can use 9lbs of venison and 1lb of beef fat to replace the GM and pork if you wish.

nepas

deb415611

Thanks for the answer and the 2nd recipe. 

I think I'll start with the jalapeno sticks if I can find some jalapeno pepper powder, I have dried jalapeno but probably not enough to some up too.  Do you think I could sub a smaller amount of habanero powder?  Any suggestion as to how much?

Smokin Soon

Two good one Nepa!  Hab's can we get a heading under Sausages for "Nepas Sticks"? Sure would make it easy for folks to refer back to later.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on July 17, 2009, 05:45:03 PM

I think I'll start with the jalapeno sticks if I can find some jalapeno pepper powder, I have dried jalapeno but probably not enough to some up too.  Do you think I could sub a smaller amount of habanero powder?  Any suggestion as to how much?

deb

let me see how much jalapeno powder i have. if i have enough i will send you some. you could do a smaller amount but it might not be very warm.

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 17, 2009, 05:58:13 PM
Quote from: deb415611 on July 17, 2009, 05:45:03 PM

deb

let me see how much jalapeno powder i have. if i have enough i will send you some. you could do a smaller amount but it might not be very warm.

nepas

I can order some, no problemo,  thanks though!  It would give me an excuse to order some spices ;D  All for the kid, all for the kid I tell the hubby :D   I do have some habenero powder  - how much of that would you sub for the jalapeno?

These recipes are cool cause he will be leaving in a little over a month and he thinks he is getting care packages from home ;)  I need to stock up the freezer for when work gets crazy. 

NePaSmoKer

I would use half the amount of hab powder.

nepas

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 17, 2009, 06:37:47 PM

nepas

Thank you, you are a star!!!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: deb415611 on July 17, 2009, 06:49:06 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 17, 2009, 06:37:47 PM

nepas

Thank you, you are a star!!!

Hollywood Blvd here i come  :D  ;D

nepas