Newbie jerky questions

Started by JF7FSU, July 19, 2009, 08:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Hey all, I have an OBS 4 rack.  I have never made jerky before but I sure like to eat it!    I read through some of the posts but they all seem to indicate some core knowledge of making jerky that I don't know about.  Is there an "easy" jerky making 101 out there?  I have no idea what meat to use and when and how do you cure it? And for how long?  In other words is there a step by step guide that would teach me to make jerky in the OBS? 

PS I dont have a dehydrator either, can I get by without one?

Thanks!
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Caribou

Hi JF7FSU,
There's a couple of options on making jerky, either make your own marinade or use a kit.
I know there are a lot of folks here that can give you great recipes on this forum.
You can search this forum and probably find some good 101's.
I have used a couple  of the Hi Mountain jerky kits with good results.
I do not use a dehydrator but probably would if I had one.
Carolyn

NePaSmoKer

JF7

My good friend arolyn has you on this. Lots of good books to guide you, however there is really no Bradley 101 book on jerky making. HM turns out good for some members. Its easy to use and follow. You can do a full BS jerky if you watch the temps, rotate the racks, keep the vent 1/2 open use minimal pucks like only 3 to 5, and no water in the pan. As far as meat goes you can use just about any cut. Eye round, top, flank, skirt or my go to is London Broil. Cutting? cut the jerky any way you like. There are jerky cops out there that say OH NO WITH THE MEAT GRAIN ONLY. To that i say PHOOEY. Try eye round and cut it into rounds against the meat grain. MMMMM MMMMM Good

Trail and error jerky is.

nepas

JF7FSU

Thanks Nepas.  Since I am a noob, I just ordered the screens and 2 hi mountain mixes to start.

1) how much jerky is 5 pounds or how many racks?  I have a 4 rack model, how much can I make in one session?

2) I want the easiest meat to start, would this be your favorite London Broil?

3) what temp should I cook the jerky at and for how long? You mention 3-5 pucks but how long is the total cook (approximately) since I will only use the OBS?  I should rotate the racks?

Thanks!

JF

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: JF7FSU on July 19, 2009, 10:07:50 PM
Thanks Nepas.  Since I am a noob, I just ordered the screens and 2 hi mountain mixes to start.

1) how much jerky is 5 pounds or how many racks?  I have a 4 rack model, how much can I make in one session?

2) I want the easiest meat to start, would this be your favorite London Broil?

3) what temp should I cook the jerky at and for how long? You mention 3-5 pucks but how long is the total cook (approximately) since I will only use the OBS?  I should rotate the racks?

Thanks!

JF

JF

1. It all depends on how wide you cut your jerky and how close you place it on the racks. With any of the Bradley smoker you can use your 4 racks and use 4 more racks inverted on top of the other racks. So instead of 4 racks your doing 8 racks. Like i do. This photo is just a tad over 5lbs.

2. Easy cuts of meat are like eye round, top and LB. Make sure you cut as much fat as you can off the meat. If your going to use HM just follow the directions for the poundage of jerky your going to make. Remember too much is ok, its better than not enough. Use the amout of cure for the right amount of pounds of meat you have. Normally 1 teasp per 5 lbs of meat.

3. Start your jerky at 145 to 150* with smoke. When the smoke stops brush off any burnt wood on the slide so you dont get that burnt wood taste. Keep smoke gen on during the process. After smoke has stopped bump heat to 160* rotating racks about every 1 to 1.5 hrs. Check jerky for doness by bending. if its not done to the way you like bump the heat up another 10* to 170* Try not to exceed 180* Check jerky again. It should be bendable, if it snaps its over cooked. During the 160, 170 and 180* heating your vent should be full open. Keep rotating the racks. The time can vary between 6 and 14 hours.

nepas

FLBentRider

After I trim the fat off the meat, I put it in the freezer on a sheet pan lined with butcher paper or parchment.

I leave it in 3 or four hours. You want it to freeze partially, not rock hard.

That will make slicing easier, especially if you are doing it by hand.

I use a deli slicer. I add HM cure, and add my own flavorings, usually garlic powder and fresh ground pepper.

I do about 15Lbs at a time, sometimes I smoke it, sometimes it goes right into the dehydrator.

Before I got the dehydrator, I used the oven. My oven (convection) has a "drying" setting.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JF7FSU

Thanks for the tips guys.  I just ordered a variety pack of HM from Cabela's and will give the London Broil or Eye Round a try.   Since I don't have a dehydrator I will use the OBS and see how it works out.  I hope I don't overcook it or screw something else up..