• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Just a newbie...need some ideas

Started by mountaineye, July 20, 2009, 06:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineye

I do not have a smoker at this time.  I enjoy cooking and trying new things.  Stove, oven, microwave and grill.  I am on a diet, but am tired of plain.  I need ideas on how to make my meals different even with the same main ingredients.  On this diet, I can have 3-4 oz of: lean steak, lean ground beef, lean pork, turkey breast, chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, scallops, crab, lobster and fish.  I can also have egg whites, rice, rice noodles, millet, barley, yam, squash, turnips, potatoes and almost any vegetables.  Since I am feeding just one on this diet, I would like it to be fairly simple and meals that could be frozen, canned, vaccum sealed, and cooked or reheated easily. I appreciate any ideas you guys can provide.   

Gizmo

Spices and Smoke can definatly turn plain to insane(ly good).  Since a couple hours of smoke on a small piece of food is not very cost effective, you may want to think bulk smoke/cooking and vacuum packing for later small quantity eating.  Veggies can be smoked also but won't absorb as much as meat will. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Things like chicken and turkey breasts as well as a lean pork roast can be smoked, sliced and Vac sealed for some really tasty results. I do quite a lot of things using baby red potatoes and grilled veggies, vac sealed and frozen in lunch sized meals.

Habanero Smoker

Hi mountaineye,

Welcome to the forum.

You may want to take a look at the recipe site in the categories of chicken, fish, salmon, seafood, turkey and vegetable (also in the pork section there is a pork loin recipe). You may have to modify many of the recipes, because a lot require brining, or rubs with salt; and most diets you are describing also restrict sodium.

But the site will give yo an idea of how the Bradley smoker is used. Once you learn the fundamentals, it is fairly easy to adapt many recipes for the oven, for the Bradley to full or partially cook the dish.

Recipe Site

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

The others have already gotten you some good ideas.  When envisioning recipes don't forget brining and injecting.  Of course is low sodium, brining will be a problem, but low sodium formulations for injecting can be used - your imagination is the only limit!  For portion control and great cost and relatively short smokes, I'd recommend pork loins.  But then again, boneless/skinless chicken and fish are great in the Bradley also.  Smoked corn on the cob is tasty, especially is sprinkled with some pepper and spices - as well as other veggies - onions, bell peppers, summer squashes, and eggplant come to mind.  Cook up some lean hamburger with your favorite spices, add some cooked rice, tomatoes, diced squash, maybe cooked diced potatoes and stuff a bell pepper with the mixture and smoke it until the pepper is done to your taste.  Stuff a fish fillet with shrimp or crab mixture and smoke until done.  Stuff a halved zucchini and smoke it.  You didn't say anything about fruit, but there is no reason, a peach, a pear, or pineapples slices (and other fruits) couldn't be put on the smoker or at least incorporated into a stuffing.  Smoked shrimp are very good - easiest way is to marinate in some salad dressing (usually Italian, but others are used) and then smoked.  Chop us some fresh tuna and mix it up with some small diced green onion, some cilantro, a little bit of wasabi, salt, pepper, the egg whites and form a patty then smoke.  You didn't mention bread products, but if you can, make chicken fajitas with onions and peppers and wrap in a flour tortilla.  Maybe (I've never tried it), you could make some crab or shrimpcakes using the egg whites for glue and smoke them rather than frying.  Surf and turf - wrap a scallop with ground beef and rub and smoke.  Just a few ideas.  For less cost and ease, bulk and freeze is the way to go. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

pensrock

spices, spices, spices.

The mo-hotter the mo-better!  ;D ;D

Really spices will add so much to bland tasting foods and it doesn't have to be hot, like I like it.

Oldman

This Saturday I will edit this posting. The reason why is I will be doing my Beef - Steak- Chilli... it is not a chilli con carne!

I originally created  this recipe back in the 80s because my (then - God rest his Soul) Step-Father needed a special diet.

It is a meld of items that when done correctly I have found my family "fighting" over the left-overs. Personally I could eat it 3 days per week it is that good. Plus it is what is GOOD for you!

I will include photos in my edit. (Oh ya it is not hot with pepper -- it use to be but my families' tasted changed.)

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Caneyscud

Quote from: pensrock on July 21, 2009, 01:26:23 PM
spices, spices, spices.

The mo-hotter the mo-better!  ;D ;D

I knew I liked you Pens.  Drink any beer from the CUP yet?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

mountaineye

Thanks to all who have replied.  I appreciate your input.  I do plan to continue to keep in touch on this website.  Looks like a lot of good ideas and I do plan on trying some of them.