• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Salami Down under

Started by Blue Legend, July 22, 2009, 06:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Legend

After owning a Bradley for over 6 months I thought it was time to get my first salamis under my belt. My First thoughts are to use the bog standard Bradley recipe, so a shop was in order to obtain the necessary ingredients. The corn syrup was not available so was substituted with Maple syrup, and the pork but was replaced with pork mince. I doubled all the ingredients to make 7 Salami in total.

Home with all the ingredients, all the dry spices/herbs, skimmilk were mxed together.

Then all the meat was run through the mincer to get uniformity and an even mix.

Next the skins were placed in water while the syrup and water was added to the dry mix and mixed thoroughly. This was then added to the meat and kneaded in for about 5 minutes. Once the filling looked even and ready it was then run through the mincer again with a stuffer tube for filling sausages/salami's and all 7 skins were filled, then placed in the fridge overnight.

7am this morning the salami were hung inside the Bradley set at 81 degrees with the thermometer inside one to monitor internal temperature. They will smoke for 4 hours using Apple wood.

After 4 hours smoke the IT was 45 degrees

After a night in the chiller it was salami on toast.

A sample was given to a client whom then rang me 2 hours later wanting to place an order for 6. Not bad for a first attemp

JF7FSU

Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

smokeitall

Wow that took on a real nice color and looks great.  My last two attempts at salami ended up with 10 lbs in the trash.  ??? The first one was my fault with measuring, the second attempt just didn't taste that great.
SIA

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 22, 2009, 07:29:32 PM
Wow that took on a real nice color and looks great.  My last two attempts at salami ended up with 10 lbs in the trash.  ??? The first one was my fault with measuring, the second attempt just didn't taste that great.
SIA
My first ones were horrible too SIA!  :D
Blue Legend!
You have done a stellar job!
Carolyn

Blue Legend

Question?  We call this Salami........Is this what you call sausage or ????

NePaSmoKer

Salami's look good BL

Are you cold smoking at these low temps?

nepas

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 23, 2009, 04:42:27 AM
Salami's look good BL

nepas
Hi Nepas,
I think he's talking degrees Celsius.
Carolyn

3rensho

QuoteQuestion?  We call this Salami........Is this what you call sausage or Huh?

I'd call it sausage.  Here salami is a dry cured fermented sausage that takes a couple of months to ripen (and mold to form). 

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Blue Legend

Quote from: Caribou on July 23, 2009, 04:47:09 AM
Salami's look good BL

nepas
Hi Nepas,
Carolyn

Correct Carolyn, like everything here, We are different. Temps are degrees celsius, weights are in Kilograms and our speed in Kilometres per hour.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 23, 2009, 12:17:57 PM
Salami's look good BL

nepas
Hi Nepas,
Carolyn

Correct Carolyn, like everything here, We are different. Temps are degrees celsius, weights are in Kilograms and our speed in Kilometres per hour.

Ok BL

I just gots too much smoke tween my ears is all  :D

nepas

OU812

Nicely done there Blue.

Looking at the color of them babys I would geuss that you used Hickory.

Never herd of pork mince.

It could be salami, I have done a form of salami that wasnt dry cured or fermented.

Blue Legend

Quote from: OU812 on July 23, 2009, 12:39:48 PM
Nicely done there Blue.

Looking at the color of them babys I would geuss that you used Hickory.

Never herd of pork mince.

It could be salami, I have done a form of salami that wasnt dry cured or fermented.

I used the Apple wood for this. Pork mince was suggested to use to get the pork fat content and meat as an easy alternative to using pork But.  The ingredients for the next batch have been purchased from a butcher friend who has supplied me with the correct Raw pork fat to give a better flavour, thinking more chilli podwer in the next batch too.

OU812

Apple wood, heck with that redish tint I could have bet it was Hickory.

Eather way it still looks good and I'm sure it tastes just as good

Caribou

Quote from: Blue Legend on July 23, 2009, 12:17:57 PM
Salami's look good BL

nepas
Hi Nepas,
Carolyn

Hey, in this case we're the ones that are different than everyone else in the world  :D :D
When I was a kid in school 30+years ago they were teaching the metric system because the entire world was switching over to it.
I wonder what happened? ???
The metric system is so much easier because it is all interrelated.
Carolyn

Roadking

Quote from: 3rensho on July 23, 2009, 06:08:38 AM

QuoteQuestion?  We call this Salami........Is this what you call sausage or Huh?

I'd call it sausage.  Here salami is a dry cured fermented sausage that takes a couple of months to ripen (and mold to form). 

Tom

Have to agree with that. It look's more like Bologna sausage or Italian mortadella.