• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Casings

Started by BigJohnT, July 23, 2009, 03:18:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

I'm fixing to order some casings from Butcher & Packer to make Walleye's Kielbasa and have enough to make an order.

There is so many types and sizes of casings that on dial up it will take a week to look at all of the pages :o

So what is the difference between Collagen Sausage Casings, Fibrous Casings, and Natural Casings?

What is the easiest for a neophyte to start with? And is the 38mm diameter good for Kielbasa?

And how many cups is one pound of soy protein concentrate?

Thanks
John

NePaSmoKer

Soy protein is 4 cups to 1 lb
1 oz is 3 Tbs

Fiberous casings are cellulose impregnated paper. Must be soaked in water for 1 to 2 hours before being stuffed.

Collagen is an edible casing made from beef protein

Natural hog, sheep and beef casings are cleaned intestins. Thess are packed in salt and must be soaked and rinsed inside and out before stuffing. Once rinsed soak with some vinegar to make the veins more transparent (more eye appealing)

Depends on what size sausage your going to make, like sticks use collagen in 17 to 19mm. Summer sausage use fiberous in 1 1/2 x 12 or 20" long
Natural use for like fresh sausages, smoked chorizo ect.

nepas

Caribou

Hi John!
Being fairly new to this myself, out of the three I would say the natural casings are the most "user friendly".
Like Nepas says they do require some prep but I think they are more forgiving and less likely to break when over stuffed.
Which happens sometimes  :D
Good luck on your batch of Walleye's Kielbasa, remember we'd love to see pictures when you done!
Carolyn

BigJohnT

Carolyn,

Scott and I were just looking at a few of your recipes that he had saved this afternoon. They sure look tasty.

I'll take some pictures for sure. My 11lb stuffer is on the way... I wonder who can make me some custom stuffer tubes for it? :?

John

smokeitall

Quote from: BigJohnT on July 23, 2009, 06:44:58 PM
Carolyn,

Scott and I were just looking at a few of your recipes that he had saved this afternoon. They sure look tasty.

I'll take some pictures for sure. My 11lb stuffer is on the way... I wonder who can make me some custom stuffer tubes for it? :?

John

So you ordered it tonight....nice, now of course I am a little bit jealous...did you go with the one from northern tool?  I know a guy for that custom tube  ;) he just happened to make me a 1" diameter Nepas super tube today.  ;D

Mr Walleye

Hey John

You'll like the kielbasa for sure.  ;)

My favorite casings to use is hog casings anywhere from 32 to 38 mm.

It's all good!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caribou

Quote from: smokeitall on July 23, 2009, 08:29:32 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on July 23, 2009, 06:44:58 PM
Carolyn,

John

So you ordered it tonight....nice, now of course I am a little bit jealous...did you go with the one from northern tool?  I know a guy for that custom tube  ;) he just happened to make me a 1" diameter Nepas super tube today.  ;D
:D :D :D :D
I was just going to say I think SIA is the custom source for custom tubs.
Wow! With an 11 pound you're going to be able to crack out a lot of sausage in a very short amount of time.
Thanks for the kind words, too!
Carolyn

BigJohnT

Quote from: Caribou on July 23, 2009, 09:55:44 PM
Wow! With an 11 pound you're going to be able to crack out a lot of sausage in a very short amount of time.
Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm the guy who makes them for SIA  8) I was just being funny...

John

deb415611

Big John,

Enjoy your sausage making.......   there are some great recipes in this forum.

I used my custom tube to do some snack sticks last weekend & it works awesome - THANKS!

Deb

BigJohnT

Quote from: smokeitall on July 23, 2009, 08:29:32 PM

I went with the one from Homer Depot. You'll have to show me how it works while we brew a 15 gallon batch of beer one day.

John

BigJohnT

Quote from: deb415611 on July 24, 2009, 03:37:15 AM
Big John,

Enjoy your sausage making.......   there are some great recipes in this forum.

I used my custom tube to do some snack sticks last weekend & it works awesome - THANKS!

Deb

Cool

John

Caribou

Quote from: BigJohnT on July 24, 2009, 03:33:47 AM
Quote from: Caribou on July 23, 2009, 09:55:44 PM
Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm the guy who makes them for SIA  8) I was just being funny...

John
:D :D :D
Carolyn

OU812

John
I see you are getting a new smoker and stuffer
But where is the new grinder ;D

Good luck on your new sausage adventure

BigJohnT

I have two grinders now... a Kitchen Aid attachment and one that came with my wife when I married her.

John