• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Steaks question

Started by bozer, July 24, 2009, 02:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bozer

I just put a porterhouse and filet mignon in the Bradley and smoked it with no heat for 1 hour. When I took them out, they looked a tiny bit cooked with some red blood showing (not much). Then I wrapped them in plastic wrap and plan to grill them tomorrow night. Is it bad that they cooked a tiny bit? Don't want to end up sick. I figure when I grill it, it will get so hot anything bad would be eliminated.

Wildcat

Any idea on meat and cabinet temps and how long at those temps?  If this is an unknown, I would recommend going straight to the grill with them.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I will smoke NY Strip steaks on occasion, and if you don't detach the generator for a cold smoke setup the steaks will turn grayish. If you only have a few steaks in the cabinet, the generator produces enough heat to change the color, and partially cook the surface.They are still perfectly safe grilling or frying, and eating. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bozer

Hmmm.. I thought cold smoke just meant that you don't turn on the tempature slider thing?

I hope I didn't fail again here. I like my steaks medium rare and plan to cook them tonight for dinner. Hopefully I didn't ruin them =(

Wildcat

Should be fine since you only had them in for 1 hour.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

The smoke generator also heats up the box and can thereby "partially cook" your stuff.  You should either get or jury rig a cold-smoke adapter to offset the smoke generator from the box if you're going to use the technique again.  Also, unplug the heating element rather than just using the slider to turn it "off."

Having said all that, you should be okay on this round (but if you die, can I have your Bradley stuff?).

FLBentRider

They are just barely cooked on the outside, one step beyond tartare.

Grill them as usual, if you time them maybe cut 30 seconds off each side.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: bozer on July 25, 2009, 07:21:26 AM
Hmmm.. I thought cold smoke just meant that you don't turn on the tempature slider thing?

I hope I didn't fail again here. I like my steaks medium rare and plan to cook them tonight for dinner. Hopefully I didn't ruin them =(

Sorry, if you misread my message. The way you applied smoke to the steaks are fine for grilling or frying. You just have some discoloration, if you don't want the discoloration then detach the generator.

You can use a cardboard box, and hook it up like this.
Cold Smoke Setup

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ed1978

what i do when cold smoking steak is turn off the cabinet heat, fill up the water bowl and the tray with ice and put the meat on the very top rack (if you don't use all the racks). I usually only cold smoke steak for 15-30 minutes so the ice is more than enough to cool down the heat from the smoke generator. I find cold smoking steak more than 30 minutes will make the meat too bitter, but that's just me :)