• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Brats & Onions

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, July 24, 2009, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Had a little extra time today while heating the smoker up for a brisket and decided to toss some brats and onions in the Bradley. Just used brats from the local grocery and sliced an onion up, used some olive oil and some of my brisket rub on it. Then in the smoker for 1 hour of smoke at 220 and finished on the grill. Came out pretty good with a nice mild smokey flavor.

In the smoker ready for 1 hour at 220.

After an hour of smoke and ready for the grill.

Ready to eat.  ;D

HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Looks pretty darn good but wheres the kraut ?

mikecorn.1

Man that looks good. Gonna try some of them brats myself. Did they take enough smoke flavor?
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on July 24, 2009, 03:24:16 PM
Quote from: OU812 on July 24, 2009, 03:24:16 PM

Decided no kraut this time. Wanted to see how the smoked flavor was so just went with the smoked/grilled onions and mustard.

Mike, the smoke flavor was mild, but real close to what I was looking for. An extra 20 or 40 minutes would have been good I'm sure.
HawkeyeSmokes

pensrock

I do not see any beer! U can't have brats without beer. lol  ;) ;D

Looks good.
pens

Tenpoint5

HS, next time try going a little longer on the onions and let them caramelize a little bit more and turn translucent. You will love it!!  Thats what I do when I grill them and make Grilled Worms. You get the flavor but loose the crunch.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Quote from: pensrock on July 24, 2009, 04:04:07 PM

Looks good.
pens

Livin in Wisconsin and no kraut on the brat and no beer....uh oh, you sure your not from that state to the south?  ;D

I just had some homemade Wisconsin brats with kraut on the other night.  My problem is I eat three and its way too much  :o

Smokin Soon

I will serve onions in 3 batches, smoked and seasoned with a crunch, some taken to the translucent stage and some caramelized. But for me, I love the crunch as long as extra flavors are involved!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on July 24, 2009, 05:20:17 PM
HS, next time try going a little longer on the onions and let them caramelize a little bit more and turn translucent. You will love it!!  Thats what I do when I grill them and make Grilled Worms. You get the flavor but loose the crunch.

Hey 10.5, bet I would but have to be careful not to make em black cuz of the dreded heartburn!
HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 24, 2009, 07:31:53 PM
I will serve onions in 3 batches, smoked and seasoned with a crunch, some taken to the translucent stage and some caramelized. But for me, I love the crunch as long as extra flavors are involved!

Couldn't agree more SS. Love the crunch with the extra flavors!!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Looks good.
pens

Sorry about that Pens, the beer started right after that when the brisket went in!  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: smokeitall on July 24, 2009, 06:21:31 PM

Looks good.
pens

Livin in Wisconsin and no kraut on the brat and no beer....uh oh, you sure your not from that state to the south?  ;D

I just had some homemade Wisconsin brats with kraut on the other night.  My problem is I eat three and its way too much  :o

Scott, you being from Kenosha, the beer is a given with brats and the kraut. You ever have home made kraut with a home made brat? The last time I made kraut it was about 90 lbs. Talk about good eats!  ;D

We bleed Green and Gold, beer, brats, kraut, cheese, (as in curds). You pick the order, It's all good.
HawkeyeSmokes

NePaSmoKer

Looks good HS

I can almost taste it  ;D

nepas

Caribou

Those look great HawkEyeSmokes!
I always think I have to make a big production when I put something in the smoker.
What a great way to enjoy your smoker everyday!
Carolyn

smokeitall

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on July 24, 2009, 08:08:27 PM
Quote from: smokeitall on July 24, 2009, 06:21:31 PM

Looks good.
pens

Scott, you being from Kenosha, the beer is a given with brats and the kraut. You ever have home made kraut with a home made brat? The last time I made kraut it was about 90 lbs. Talk about good eats!  ;D

We bleed Green and Gold, beer, brats, kraut, cheese, (as in curds). You pick the order, It's all good.

I bleed the same and always will and it has been way too long since I've had homemade kraut.  I should check around and see if all the cabbage fields are picked, probably time to make some.  Do you have a good recipe?

One of my favorites with homemade kraut is, ribs & kraut w/ homemade dumplings  :)  Now that is some good eats..