• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

cast iron Heat Sink

Started by squirtthecat, July 26, 2009, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

I've read a few posts about piling bricks and such in the bottom of the OBS to help with temperature recovery...   So I thought earlier, what about a big chunk of cast iron?   Perhaps a Lodge griddle pan would fit in the bottom of the OBS - but no.

This pan does fit, and is nice and heavy...  (10x10x1.5")

I had to do some minor surgery on it, as in lopping the handle off.  But after that, he fits nicely in the bottom drip pan.  I put a 9x9 foil cake pan inside of it to replace the Bradley supplied water bowl.

Carefully sliding into place... (everything is hot, and now *heavy*):

In final position:

I mentioned the recovery times/temps in another topic, but will repeat here.

- Started w/ pre-heated 225 cabinet temp
- Opened door and slid in a very cool 4lb ham
- Shut door and turned on biscuit burner (it was off so I didn't burn myself working around it)
- After 15 minutes, the cabinet temp had jumped back to almost 190 degrees
- Within 45 minutes, it was cruising along at 200

Granted, I'm working with a small load of meat, but the temps outside have dropped quite a bit, and the wind has picked up...    I'll try it again with a big load next weekend.

NePaSmoKer

Very good idea there squirt.

nepas

mikecorn.1

Thanks for the pics. Will be looking forward to the new findings.
Mike

pensrock

Good idea, too bad the wife is going to kill you for ruining her new pan.  ;) ;D

Habanero Smoker

Great idea. You definitely have more mass then the single brick that I use. What did you use to cut off the handle, and was it difficult?

I never got around to adding the tip about the bricks on the recipe site. When I get around to it, could this be added to the site as an alternative to using bricks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Quote from: pensrock on July 27, 2009, 02:21:13 AM
Good idea, too bad the wife is going to kill you for ruining her new pan.  ;) ;D

Naw, she's out of town for a few days, and I'm the chief cook & bottle washer..

squirtthecat

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on July 27, 2009, 02:23:01 AM
Great idea. You definitely have more mass then the single brick that I use. What did you use to cut off the handle, and was it difficult?

I just used a hacksaw to slice the handle off - only took a minute or 2.  I smoothed the rough edges with the sharpening steel from my knife block. (and a few whack of a ball peen hammer)  It really wasn't difficult at all.

I think those pans for around 20 bucks at the store before tax.  Ideally, one could pick up a deal at a garage sale..

I'm sure what it actually weighs..  At least 4 pounds I would guess.

Tenpoint5

Very interesting might have to consider this!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

Great idea
So what did you do with the handle? ;D
Just kidd'n

Lumpy

Roadking

Great idea there, and the cast iron should hold the heat better then the brick.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: lumpy on July 27, 2009, 08:24:19 AM
Great idea
So what did you do with the handle? ;D
Just kidd'n

Lumpy

If it was me, I would toss that in the smoker to. Just a little more iron in the pot so to speak.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Not sure what I did with it... 

Anyway, the expected side-effect of a cat iron pan in a moist box came to fruition.   RUST.

Oh well, it's not for real cooking use anyway.

Roadking

Maybe you have to season it first with cooking oil, just to prevent the rust. But like you said your not eating off of it.

westexasmoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on July 27, 2009, 06:01:33 PM
Not sure what I did with it... 

Anyway, the expected side-effect of a cat iron pan in a moist box came to fruition.   RUST.

Oh well, it's not for real cooking use anyway.

So now what did you do with that Cat again!   ::)

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!