quick say howdy

Started by smokinrookiejr, February 15, 2005, 01:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinrookiejr

hello all,
my name is dillon, i'm smokinrookies stepson.
i enjoy cooking and like stepdad am looking forward to learning from all people here the art of smoker cooking.[:D]

do you have a simple recipe for a beginner?

smokin in the boys room!

oguard

Welcome to the forum Dillon here is a recipe for olds bacon wrapped stuffed chicken  http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=1118
Have fun[:D][8D]
Keep on smokin[8D]
Mike
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Oldman

Greetings Young man, and welcome to this place. oguard is correct those chicken rolls are easy to do.

Now one suggestion if you are not skilled with knife then get someone to slice the breast for you.  Also when you warp the chicken in the bacon use an off brand of bacon. Most name brands have much "smoky" flavoring already add and they take away from the end product.

Good Luck!
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Chez Bubba

Hey Dillon,

Thanks for coming aboard![:)] There's a ton of information available to you here. Simply use the search function, but if that doesn't answer your question, just ask us, we'll be happy to share.

I wish my boy enjoyed the same passion of great food as me, but then again, my boy is a dog![:D]

Welcome, hope you enjoy your experience here. Keep it up & someday, you'll outcook the pops![:D]

Kirk

ps, are you a Crue fan?

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

jaeger

Welcome Dillon!

If you want to try something easy, smoke up some turkey jerky. Take a couple turkey tenderloins and season with high mountain jerky seasoning. You should be able to find it at any place that sells any smoking supplies or camping supplies. Cut into strips,  season for 24 hours and you are ready to smoke. Should take about 2 1/2 hours to 3 hours. I like hickory but any wood really will work.
 One of the things I like about making different types of jerky is that you can snack on some anytime and it's easy to share a few pieces with friends etc...

Have fun!!!

Doug

BigSmoker

Glad to see a father and son team[:D].  My boy(who is not a dog) helps me with my smokin' and grillin'.  A whole chicken is a nice place to start.  Loosen the skin around the chicken breast and rub soft butter(not melted) mixed with your favorite rub right under the skin.  Do this while the smoker is preheating to 225-250°f.  Place bird breast side up on 2nd rack from the top down.  Apply 3 hrs of apple, pecan or apple pecan mix smoke.  Cook until breast meat is 160°f.  This usually takes me right at 5 hrs.  Carefully remove from smoker because the cavity of the chicken will be filled with hot liquid[;)].  Allow to rest with a little foil across the top for 15-30 minutes.  Carve and serve with white BBQ sauce.  The skin in this recipe would be discarded[:)].  Easy and deliscious[:p].

For a little different taste mix butter with herbs de provence and fill chicken cavity with fresh rosemary and basil leaves and either a couple slices of orange, lemon or grapefruit(no BBQ sauce with this one).

White BBQ sauce recipe:
1C (Duke's) Mayo
1/2C apple cider vinager
1tsp table salt
1tsp black pepper
1tsp white sugar
1/8-1/2 cayenne pepper
1Tbsp preparred horseradish (Boar's Head)
2Tbsp Apple schnapps(optional but really adds a nice flavor

Whisk all ingredients together in non reactive container and refrigerate for 1hr before serving(whisk again) Use as a dippin' sauce

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

bsolomon

smokinrookiejr - We have a new FAQ that we are builing now on another Web site.  Please check it out at http://www.susanminor.org/index2.html

Lots of good information, especially for beginners, and tons of tried and true recipes.  Give it a read and let us know what you think.

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BigSmoker</i>
<br />....The skin in this recipe would be discarded[:)].....

White BBQ sauce recipe:
1C (Duke's) Mayo
1/2C apple cider vinager
1tsp table salt
1tsp black pepper
1tsp white sugar
1/8-1/2 cayenne pepper
1Tbsp preparred horseradish (Boar's Head)
2Tbsp Apple schnapps(optional but really adds a nice flavor

Whisk all ingredients together in non reactive container and refrigerate for 1hr before serving(whisk again) Use as a dippin' sauce.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Jeff, just curious, why would you bother to discard the skin & then dip in a mayo sauce? Hell man, go all in or all out![}:)]

I do gotta try that white sauce, though![:p]

Kirk

Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I wish my boy enjoyed the same passion of great food as me, but then again, my boy is a dog![:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Come on CB you're telling me that your dog does not appreciate all the work you do smoking and then "accidently" drop a sample on the floor?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><br />ps, are you a Crue fan?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Isn't everyone?

I love smoking with my little guy.  He gets quite proud when he gets to load the bisquettes in the tube and then push the button to advance them.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
Jeff, just curious, why would you bother to discard the skin & then dip in a mayo sauce? Hell man, go all in or all out![}:)]

I do gotta try that white sauce, though![:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The skin dosen't usually crisp up enough when I cook it this way.  It stays kinda rubbery is the only reason I don't eat it.  I guess that did sound kinda like an oxymoron.  The white sauce is a spin off of Big Bob Gibson's.  There comercial stuff is good in a pinch but the homemade is better.

Jeff
//www.bbqshopping.com

[/url]
Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

Kummok

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Chez Bubba</i>
<br />I wish my boy enjoyed the same passion of great food as me, but then again, my boy is a dog![:D]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Come on CB you're telling me that your dog does not appreciate all the work you do smoking and then "accidently" drop a sample on the floor?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><br />ps, are you a Crue fan?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Isn't everyone?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

"Crue" [?][?] Weren,t they back up band for Barry Manilow [:D][;)][:D]
s/
The Red Rocker[8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kummok</i>
<br />"Crue" [?][?] Weren,t they back up band for Barry Manilow [:D][;)][:D]
s/
The Red Rocker[8D]

35 years of extinguishing smoking stuff and now I'm wondering WHY!
Kummok @ Homer, AK USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not sure Kummok...maybe between Shout at the Devil, and Theatre of Pain.  I'm pretty sure they were headlining by the time Dr. Feelgood came out (because I was at that concert), and therefore would have broken away from Manilow.

Laugh if you will, but for my (not really midlife yet, but perhaps you can call it one-third) life crisis, I'm off to Calgary on April 1st to see Red, White, and Crue!!!

ROCK ON[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

MallardWacker

Well for my mid~life rowst.  I am truely a P.O.D. coinsurer but I do temper it with a little Alison Krauss from time to time.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

smokinrookiejr

me and my stepdad smoked some cheese for the first time, cant wait until the second time!!![xx(]

got a chicken in there now. let see how that turns out.

smokin in the boys room!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by whitetailfan</i>
<br />I love smoking with my little guy.  He gets quite proud when he gets to load the bisquettes in the tube and then push the button to advance them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[Bite Tongue][Bite Tongue][Bite Tongue][:D][:D][:D]