2 large pork loins

Started by weekendsmoke, July 30, 2009, 12:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendsmoke

I am going to smoke 2 pork loins, each are 7 1/2 lbs. each . What temperature is best and typically how long should this take? I am feeding 15 people and I'm nervous!

westexasmoker

I try to pull with an IT of 150, ususally takes about 5-6 hours but thats with a 5 lb.er

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

Weekend,

if you want them to be fall apart tender  for shreeded pork you  are looking  at 15 to 18 hours and an IT of 195 to 200 and a box temp of 210 to 220, and smoke with 3 hours of your favorite smoke. top vent open 3/4  to full open. You may try after the smoke replace the contents of the bowl with a flavored  drink, apple juice, oeange juice, soda, beer etc.

you  can figure cook time to be between 1 hr to 1 hr. 30 min for future referance. also dont forget to use your favorite rub

weekendsmoke

I won't be shredding the meat, I'm making large medallions. Would I cook them at the same temp for less time or lower temp same time?

Tenpoint5

For Sliced Pork Loin go with an IT of 145* Start your smoke a little early, then put your finished loins on a try covered in foil UNCUT it wont hurt them covered for an hour. You can also wrap in foil then wrap with a towel and stick in the Microwave for a couple of hours if you get done real early. Will make a better presentation to your guests cutting them a slab off right in front of them at the table, and they can see the juices running out. You can also slice when they arrive and place on a serving platter if your doing a buffet style dinner.  Just my thoughts.

Edit: Had to change IT from 150 to 145*. The 150* IT was for the Venison Loin I did.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I smoke pork loins at 225°F, until they reach an internal temperature of 142°F - 145°F. Let them rest under tented foil. I do not FTC. Time factor will vary; depending on how fast you get up to the set temperature. I would shoot closer to WTS' times, and add a couple of hours.

But I would shot for a lower time, because if you find you are running behind schedule, you can take them out of the smoker and finish in a 350°F oven. If you have people who get nervous seeing a little pink in their pork, them take them to around 148°F, during rest they will rise another 2 - 3°F (if you finish in the oven expect about a 5 - 8°F rise).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

I'm with Habs on this one. I usually take them to 145, then tent them with foil for 15 or 20 minutes. They will usually gain 2 or 3 degrees during this time.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

weekendsmoke

Thanks so much!  I need to have these ready by 11 am so it sounds like I need to start in the wee hours of the morning. I will be slicing the meat in front of the guests so I don't want to make excuses.