• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Finally Made Huckleberry Maple Venison Sausage...Thanks Nepas!!

Started by Caribou, July 30, 2009, 09:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caribou

Well, I finally made this sausage using Nepas' recipe from this thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9056.0
I had to wait until huckleberry season rolled around to try it.
The only thing I changed in the recipe was using huckleberries instead of blueberries and I didn't grind the berries.
I wanted the individual berries visible in the final product but I did crush them as I mixed them up in the sausage.
Wow!  Another great recipe from Nepas, they were just incredible!

Thanks Nepas!
Carolyn

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

TY Carolyn

Those look great and must have yasyed real good.

nepas

pensrock

Caribou

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on July 31, 2009, 04:41:10 AM
TY Carolyn

Those look great and must have yasyed real good.

nepas
Yes, they yasyed really good! :D
So, yere!
Carolyn

mikecorn.1

Mike

wischermit

Yummy!! I was thinking of using the blueberries that are ripe around here now..Then I saw Nepas original recipe..duh! Might even try the dried/sweetened cranberries too.. & the mind goes wild.. ::)

smokeitall

Smokin Soon

I'm not sure if Huckleberries or blueberries are a west coast thing. I found a tiny little tray of blueberries at Lucky's for $2.99 and they looked bad. Would seedless dark grapes work for this?

wischermit

IMO, grapes would be too big & turn out to mushy.. If you like blueberries, you might be able to find/use the ones that come in bags in the freezer section..I'm gonna use some of the pre-packaged dried cranberries.. 

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on August 09, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
I'm not sure if Huckleberries or blueberries are a west coast thing. I found a tiny little tray of blueberries at Lucky's for $2.99 and they looked bad. Would seedless dark grapes work for this?

I bet frozen blueberries would be work.  See if you can find the Wyman's brand. They are wild blueberries and smaller than what you probably found at Lucky's. 

Caneyscud

Go to Trader Joe's or some other natural or gourmet food store, they ought to have dried (not freeze dried) blueberries.  Should be soft enough to use as is, but you could plump them up in some sort of liquid. or spirits.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Caribou

Quote from: Smokin Soon on August 09, 2009, 09:18:33 PM
Hi!
Huckleberries are a western wild blueberries, quite a bit richer and tarter in flavor.
I did use frozen berries when I made this and they worked fine, I'm sure your grocer has frozen blueberries.
I don't see why dried one like Caneyscud mentioned wouldn't work.
We don't have a Trader Joes here unfortunately but I believe Costco also carries a dried blueberries.

Carolyn