• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Slicing Jerky Meat

Started by BigJohnT, August 05, 2009, 01:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigJohnT

I have a Chef's Choice 610 slicer. I made some jerky the other day I realized that what I had thawed out was not enough so I grabbed a flank steak out of the freezer and proceeded to start slicing. The first few were ok but then the meat started to move away from the blade making the last half thinner than the start. Was that from the meat being too frozen or is my $100 slicer a toy? Next time I plan on tossing the meat into the fridge the night before I slice.

Thanks
John

sherlock

I had problem once with more expensive slicer and found that the plate that moves in and out to determine the thickness was not secured tightly and was moving as the meat passed the blade.

Let us know what you find

OU812

I have had that prob when the meat is froze to hard just start from the other end and by the time you get to the middle its thawed out more.

Works for me

BigJohnT

The plate is secure so it must have been the rock hard meat.

Thanks
John

FLBentRider

I put the meat in the freezer for 3-4 hours.

It does not freeze hard, just firm.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BigJohnT

Thanks, these are already frozen so I'll have to find out how long to thaw it. Or do you thaw it then freeze it again?

John

FLBentRider

I have found already frozed to be a pain to work with.

Since the outside thaws first. When you go from unfrozen to frozen, it freezes from the outside, which makes it easier to slice, but not had as a rock.

I would probably thaw it completely and partially re-freeze. I have had to do that when I put it in to partial and forget about it!  ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

smokeitall

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 05, 2009, 01:07:29 PM
I have a Chef's Choice 610 slicer. I made some jerky the other day I realized that what I had thawed out was not enough so I grabbed a flank steak out of the freezer and proceeded to start slicing. The first few were ok but then the meat started to move away from the blade making the last half thinner than the start. Was that from the meat being too frozen or is my $100 slicer a toy? Next time I plan on tossing the meat into the fridge the night before I slice.

Thanks
John

Whatever BigJohnT did for his first batch (uneven or not) he should just keep doing it.  He gave me some to take for my drive home on Thursday night and it was gone by the end of the driveway.  Great jerky, especially for his first time.  Man I hope there is some more when I get down there this week  ;)