First timer

Started by SteelHeel, August 07, 2009, 07:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteelHeel

Hi all,

Just got a Bradley digital six rack and have seasoned/cured.  I am planning on doing a couple of racks of baby back pork ribs today (about 3.5 lbs each) and wondered what you all thought would be the best recipe/smoke time/cook time for these.  Really looking forward to trying this out today, beautiful weather here.

Thanks

Caneyscud

Welcome to the forum Steelheel!  Congratulations on your new six-racker!  Make friends with it and it will treat you real nice.
Are they babybacks or spareribs?

Generally
1. Prep ribs, remove membrane, and rub as you want - overnight or 1 hour - I do the one hour
2. Preheat Bradley to 250 or so with smoke generator on but without pucks
3. Put pucks in and cycle to the burner
4. Put ribs into the smoker and reset temp to 225 or 230 - usually in one of the middle racks, but you might need to check your temp there to see if you are getting at least 225.

This is where it changes

Baby Backs - 2-1-1 method
5. 2 hours of smoke
6. Wrap in foil for one hour with a splash of liquid
7. Remove from foil put back in smoker for 1 hour - the last 1/2 hour apply sauce if wanted.
8. Done if meat has retreated from the end of the bone - exposing the bone 1/4" or more, if a bone turns, or just pull apart and see if your doneness is achieved.

Spareribs -  3-2-1 method
5. 3 hours of smoke
6. Wrap in foil for two hours with a splash of liquid
7. Remove from foil put back in smoker for 1 hour - the last 1/2 hour apply sauce if wanted.
8. Done if meat has retreated from the end of the bone - exposing the bone 1/4" or more, if a bone turns, or just pull apart and see if your doneness is achieved.

Wish you good luck with the first smoke - It is always a bit of a nervous experience, but with great results!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BigJohnT

Welcome SteelHeel. I'm kinda new myself. Don't forget to remove the last puck by your favorite means after it has been on the heating pad after the 20 minutes is up to prevent that burnt wood smell.

Caneyscud, Thanks for sharing that... it's going on my menu list.

John

SteelHeel

Quote from: Caneyscud on August 07, 2009, 07:14:03 AM

This is where it changes

Baby Backs - 2-1-1 method
5. 2 hours of smoke
6. Wrap in foil for one hour with a splash of liquid

Thanks Caneyscud!  They are baby back ribs.  I have the apple and well every flavor of the bisquettes.  Should I just use apple alone or mix it up with hickory or another flavor?  I have removed the membrane and rubbed down a few hours ago and have them in the refrigerator.

When you say foil with a splash of liquid would that be apple juice or something like that?

I had figured they would need to cook longer than that but it is good to know that I dont.  I do have the ET-73 to keep check on the internal temp as well.

SteelHeel

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 07, 2009, 07:23:44 AM
Welcome SteelHeel. I'm kinda new myself. Don't forget to remove the last puck by your favorite means after it has been on the heating pad after the 20 minutes is up to prevent that burnt wood smell.

Caneyscud, Thanks for sharing that... it's going on my menu list.

John

Hey BigJohn, great tip, I would not have thought of that. 

OU812

SteelHeel welcome to the fun

As for the wood use what ever you feel like (I use Pecan) Apple would be a good start Heck mix it up if you want

A splash of what ever you like, apple juice is the most often used I have used BEER and it turned out great

With ribs its hard to check the IT cause of all the bones just check for the tenderness by the bone twist, kinda like checking a chicken by twisting the leg

Caneyscud

Thanks BigJohn, I forgot about that and about leaving the vent at least 1/2 open.  Sounds illogical and not right, but trust us on this one.  Also if you not have heard about "dummy pucks", they are puck sized pieces of aluminum that go in on top of your smoking pucks (3 usually) that push that last smoking puck off the the heating element.

Wood flavor is whatever you like.  Growing up in Texas I like mesquite, oak and pecan,  Now in Nashville, Hickory is king, so I have to use that or pecan frequently.  Apple should be great also - it will be a milder, not as strong smoke flavor.  So if you like less smoke flavor that will be great.  However, if you like more smoke flavor, you might select another flavor, or use smoke in the last hour also.  

Liquid:  Apple juice is used frequently, however, I like using others as I don't care for the slight apple flavor.  I will use beer, whiskey, mixture of Dales and Worcestershire sauce, combination of coke and coffee, cherry juice, jalepeno juice.  Just about anything you think will taste good - will!  Now it doesn't take much,  less than a 1/4 cup.  All you want is a little steam, not to boil the ribs.  

Time:  They can take longer, especially the first smoke or two.  Most newbies tend to peek.  Guess what happens when you peek - you open the door and lose heat - and that does cause the cook to be longer.  You are given grace and are forgiven the first couple of smokes if you peek - after that you risk the wrath of the smoke police.  That is why it is wise to monitor the Cabinet Temperature - just to see how close to 225 it stays.  Babybacks don't take as much time as spareribs, partly because of less weight, but also they come from a more tender part of the ribs, up next to the loin, so you don't have as much toughness to render to tenderness!  I had some racks get pretty well done in 3 hours the other day on my Traeger - I wasn't monitoring IT, and it might have been hotter than 225.  

Don't bother with the Maverick monitoring the IT of the ribs.  It probably won't be entire accurate or correct due to the influence of the bone and the surface temps - just not enough mass of meat.  Judge doneness with the bone end test, or the bone twist test, the flexiblility test, or just pulling apart to see if they are done!

KyNola

Welcome aboard SteelHeel,
CS has you pointed in the right direction.  Since this is your first run with the Bradley, make sure the drip tray is installed correctly.  The "V" should be pointed down towards the water pan so that any drippings goes through the hole in the center of the tray and into the water pan.

You also have the option of finishing them in your house oven using the same method CS described for you.  After the smoke has been applied, the Bradley is nothing more than a 500 watt oven.  Some of us put the smoke on them in the Bradley and then transfer to the house oven set at 200-225 for the remainder.

Either way, have lots of fun and let us know the results.  BTW, it's very important to stay properly hydrated while working with the Bradley! ;D  Coors makes a very good hydration fluid.

KyNola

SteelHeel

Great tips guys!  Yeah I was going to use the ET-73 mainly for keeping up with the smoke chamber temps.  I am going to try my best not to peek.  I am planning on keeping hydrated as best as possible along with a stogie to keep me smoked while the ribs are.   ;)

Also where can I get these dummy pucks at.  Another great idea!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum SteelHeel!

I use Hickory smoke on Ribs.

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of my post, it will take you to our recipe site. Lots of good info there.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

justpete

Quote from: SteelHeel on August 07, 2009, 08:26:44 AM
Great tips guys!  Yeah I was going to use the ET-73 mainly for keeping up with the smoke chamber temps.  I am going to try my best not to peek.  I am planning on keeping hydrated as best as possible along with a stogie to keep me smoked while the ribs are.   ;)

Also where can I get these dummy pucks at.  Another great idea!
Here is a link for Bubba pucks
http://www.yardandpool.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=bubbapuck-P&CartID=0

Peter

mikeradio

Welcome Steelheel   I just got my Mavrick ET-73 and love it, it really helps to keep an eye on the temps.

Mike

Caneyscud

I know Yard and Pool (members of the forum) has them.  - maybe others. 

muzzletim

Welcome to the Forum!!! As you can see their is a great bunch of people here with even better advice!!
Tim

Tenpoint5

Hi there SteelHeel,
I'm a litle late to the party, but here's a link to a pictorial on how to make ribs like Caney said.
How to make Ribs in a Bradley
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!