• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The smoke ring is back

Started by Hopefull Romantic, August 12, 2009, 09:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there folks and a special apology to Nepas for the late reply

yes you read correctly the smoke ring is back. I have smoked three chicken on Sunday and have added two smaller than the fist size well lit charcoal in the BDS. I did it about one hour into smoking and the were put into a heave foil plate.

To be honest with you all I did not notice the smoke ring until the next afternoon when we had the leftovers for lunch (too much of the old John Daniels) and low and behold there it was a beautiful pink smoke ring surrounding the flesh. It may not have covered the complete chicken and therefore I shall put the coals the next time from the beginning.

Coals also help on the temp recovery as well.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

3rensho

Quoteand the were put into a heave foil plate.

If I may ask, what exactly is a "heave foil plate"?  Thanks

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

mikecorn.1

Hello there HR. I remember a post a while back on this. I guess it was yours but havent seen anything else on this till now. Can you elaborate a bit clearer on what exactly you did to get the smoke ring. and do you have any pics to show us. (as far as the charcoal set up in the bradley) thanks.  ;D  ;D Not understanding what exactly you did from reading the post.  ???  ;D
Mike

Ka Honu

Quote from: 3rensho on August 12, 2009, 09:58:14 AMIf I may ask, what exactly is a "heave foil plate"?  

A Frisbee made out of a pie pan?

squirtthecat

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: 3rensho on August 12, 2009, 09:58:14 AM
Quoteand the were put into a heave foil plate.

If I may ask, what exactly is a "heave foil plate"?  Thanks

Tom

Hi there Tom,

I am sorry for the typo. I meant a heavy foil plate which is simply a make do plate that I made to hold the charcoal.

HR

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on August 12, 2009, 10:55:31 AM
Hello there HR. I remember a post a while back on this. I guess it was yours but havent seen anything else on this till now. Can you elaborate a bit clearer on what exactly you did to get the smoke ring. and do you have any pics to show us. (as far as the charcoal set up in the bradley) thanks.  ;D  ;D Not understanding what exactly you did from reading the post.  ???  ;D

Hi there mikecorn.1

I am sorry that I did not take picture the last time but promise to do so this weekend.

I placed the charcoal on the lower tray next to the dripping tray where the briquettes are extinguished. Like I said they were a good size coals that were completely white when I placed them in there. One more thing I can add is that there was a hint of taste similar to what you would get when you grill. It was really good.

After I served the chicken to my guests in the garden I was called back into the house for three minutes when I went back to the garden the chicken looked like a hungry puma got hold of them. They were in pieces.

HR

Tenpoint5

I know this sounds like a great Idea, BUT I would err on the side of caution. Putting another heat source such as burning Charcoal under dripping grease just gives me the Willy's. I have visions of West Texas Smokers unit with three chunks of charcoal that used to be Briskets. (WTS if you would be so kind to post that picture again) Not something I want to see in my Smoker.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 12, 2009, 12:55:04 PM... (WTS if you would be so kind to post that picture again)

Yeah, an embarrassment encore is always good (and I haven't had my morning "shudder" yet)!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Ka Honu on August 12, 2009, 01:24:42 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 12, 2009, 12:55:04 PM... (WTS if you would be so kind to post that picture again)

Yeah, an embarrassment encore is always good (and I haven't had my morning "shudder" yet)!

Not an "embarrassment encore". A visual aid to use as a learning device of what could happen.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

I have to agree with Chris. Maybe if you use a small disposable meatloaf pan and placed it to the right of the water bowl.

I not interested in the pink ring, but was there any charcoal flavor that you could detect?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

westexasmoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 12, 2009, 01:29:24 PM
Quote from: Ka Honu on August 12, 2009, 01:24:42 PM

Not an "embarrassment encore". A visual aid to use as a learning device of what could happen.

Ok you asked for it....Bad Memories.....Very, Very Bad!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Ka Honu

Mmmmmm... charcoal brisket chips!

mikecorn.1

I usually do 4 hours max of smoke.  ;D  ;D  ;D  I like a subtle smoke flavor, not to overpower the meat.  ;D
Mike

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on August 12, 2009, 01:33:51 PM
I have to agree with Chris. Maybe if you use a small disposable meatloaf pan and placed it to the right of the water bowl.

I not interested in the pink ring, but was there any charcoal flavor that you could detect?

Habs

I think this is where he put it based on re-reading his post. I missed it the first time as well so I went back and re-read it.

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on August 12, 2009, 12:29:24 PM
I placed the charcoal on the lower tray next to the dripping tray where the briquettes are extinguished. Like I said they were a good size coals that were completely white when I placed them in there. One more thing I can add is that there was a hint of taste similar to what you would get when you grill. It was really good.

HR

Having a live coal down there is not a lot different than having a lit heating element. It's not a problem unless you get grease on the element or coal in this case. The drip pan is designed to channel the grease to the water bowl, the problem arises when the hole in the drip pan gets plugged with goop and the grease backs up.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes