• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack stick recipe and which stuffer to get

Started by goblism, August 16, 2009, 07:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goblism

Well yesterday my aunt was getting ready to put an entire cow in the freezer and had 60-70lbs of hamburger in the freezer that she thought i could use.  Well i am going to make at least 20lbs of this into snack sticks, and probably make more once i try some out.

Well first of all i have the sausage making book, and not sure what recipe to use, or which one you guys suggest.

Also what stuffer should i get?  i am thinking about getting the grizzly one(which i assume is the same as the one from northern tool and a lot of other sites) and also getting the stuffing tube from bigjohn on here.

goblism

i know this isn't the right forum, but what vac sealer should i get as well?

Plan on getting a half a hog pretty soon, so i want to try some brats out too after the snack sticks

goblism

well i got my stuffer for free

now i just need to get a good stuffer tube from bigjohn

Caribou

Wow! That's a mean looking stuffer!  ;)
I have an LEM 5lb stuffer which I adore and I use a Foodsaver V3825 which I'm also pleased with.
I do believe there are some vacuum sealer discussions in the "Non-Bradley Equipment" area of the forum.
Carolyn

goblism

i will look into the non-bradley section for the food saver, its my moms 50th birthday soon, might have to buy her one for her birthday and borrow it when i make some sausage...than just ask for one as a wedding present :)

The stuffer is an old sausage stuffer, fruit/lard press.  4 qt, which means about 8lb capacity.  Cleaned it up pretty good on the inside, still looks a little rough on the outside.  Grandpa said that thousands of pounds of sausage, thousands of gallons of juice, and other stuff have went through this stuffer, says september 14th 1897 for the patent date, so no idea how old it actually is.  made by hibbard, spencer, and bartlet, same as the modern day true value

Caribou

It's awesome that you can keep the family tradition and use it for sausage just like your grandfather did.
How cool!
Carolyn

Mr Walleye

That looks like an old Enterprise Stuffer. There is a newer version of this unit still being made and the parts are interchangeable to my knowledge. The name of the newer version is Chop Rite

Here is a link to one of the Chop Rite Stuffers.
http://www.sausagesource.com/catalog/cr-no25.html

There are a few members on the forum that use these stuffers. They were pretty much indestructible.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

goblism

mines not a enterprise model, its a hibbard spencer bartlet, called chop-rite earlier today and they said that they were never this company nor did they ever sell under this company.  I am thinking it is very simular though, mine has a removable pot on it, while the enterprise is built in.  This is both good and bad in my eyes at this point.  it makes for easy cleanup, but also makes it more difficult to put the pot into the stuffer and out of it.

Looks industructable, should last a long time, hopefully i can get some stuffing tubes for it.

goblism

actually this here says it is a simmons
you can see the differences between the simmons and the enterprise (obviously these are 2 different sizes, but notice the construction differences)

BigJohnT

Quote from: goblism on August 17, 2009, 07:25:35 PM

Looks like you might want to clean it up a bit first  :D

John

FLBentRider

Quote from: BigJohnT on August 18, 2009, 04:18:38 AM
Quote from: goblism on August 17, 2009, 07:25:35 PM

Looks like you might want to clean it up a bit first  :D

John

Naw, that adds a flavor component you just can't get with those shiny new ones!

:D :D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

mine is a large enterprise and it came with the small plate and the basket for squeezing fruit, I sent a note to chop rite and ordered a large plate. It came in but the threads are different where the plate screws onto the shaft. It still works but doesn't thread the whole way one, only about 1/2 turn. I bought aluminum stuffer tubes for it but do not remember if from chop rite or sausage maker.

goblism

just bought a cheap set off of ebay with 3 tubes that is suppose to work for my stuffer, will get one of john's in the future once i figure out sausage making is for me.

Yeah it needs a little cleaning up on the outside, but none of that matters, only inside of the pot matters and the large plate.

I have the large plate, small plate, fruit basket with bottom, and stuffer nut and 3/4" tube...gotta love free stuff.

Now i just gotta wait for the stuffing tubes to get in, got the pid parts in today, plan on building that tommorow once i pickup some of the last parts i need (like rubber grommets), so should be all set in a few days or so for making sausage

drano

goblism,

The LEM/Grizzly/Northern Tool etc 5 lb stuffers get good reviews here, and are reasonably priced at around $100.
But if your wallet allows, a larger stuffer is nice for those 20-25 lb batches. 
I've got a Cabelas 11 lb, and really like it.  But the 20 or 30 lb models would be great (at a lot more $$$$).

Try to decide what size batches you plan to make, and how much time you want to spend stuffing. The 5 lb models require more time refilling the container, but are cheaper.  The big models take less time, but cost more.  Think about what suits your needs/wallet and go from there.

get smokin
drano