Hello and thanks for alot of great ideas

Started by dbrown1, August 17, 2009, 12:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrown1

Hello I am new to the site and just bought my bradley smoker, being from Alaska I figured it was about time I stopped buying and smoking my own.
With that being said I am having an issue with smoking my salmon I have a good wet brine a great smoker but I am not sure why I keep getting the fatty oil on my fish / also if this can't be helped does anyone have a tip on how to remove the oil from the fish before I vacuum seal the finished product. My fish tastes good and all even with the oil but it just isn't as presentable as it could be ....Please Help !!

Thank you in advance,
dbrown1

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum dbrown1!

I'm not sure about the oil on the salmon, but there are several here that should be along shortly, some of them are Alaskans...

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of this post it will take you to our recipe site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Dbrown.
The oil (better known here as Buggers) comes from heating the fish too fast and not having a good pellicle on it. Try letting your fish sit out longer until it is good and tacky. May even use a fan to help. Then maybe try a little longer at the lowest start temp as you ramp up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. As you can see, plenty of folks around here that will be able to help out with your questions.  :)
Mike

KyNola

dbrown,
First of all, welcome to the forum.  Go to the Fish section of this forum.  You will find a "sticky" by Kummok for smoked salmon.  Many of us agree this is the best salmon in the world.  It deals particularly with the oil you are talking about.

KyNola 

OU812

Welcome to the fun

Im with 10.5 on the buggers (white little bubbles on the flesh) to hot to fast
keep it in the lower temp longer

muzzletim

I used to have that problem but since I got my PID and followed Kummock's temps it is now minimal.
Tim

pkcdirect

Welcome to the forum dbrown, good luck with your salmon smoke, you guys that live where you can catch your own sure make me jealous...be sure to post lots of pics...
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

dbrown1

Thanks for all the welcomes as well as the advice....I am trying some more tomorrow will let you know how it turns out.

aces-n-eights

10.5 has you hooked up.  Let it air dry to form a pellicle - i have to leave it out overnight sometimes and then the slow ramp up on the temp as you're smoking.

Oh yeah, welcome fellow Alaskan!  I'm in Soldotna - where are you located?
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

dbrown1

I am in Anchorage was just down your way in July stocking up my freezer =)