Hi all ... Looking to pick up a bradley ... have a question or two ...

Started by Tim_in_NC, August 17, 2009, 09:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim_in_NC

After looking around in this forum, I've decided to give smoking a shot ... Looks like fun to me ...

I'm trying to decide if it's better to purchase an Original Bradley Smoker and add a Auber Instruments, Programmable PID ... or should I just pick up the Digital Version of the Bradley Smoker ???

Is the Aumber more consistent?  Will the controller on the Digital Bradley Smoker offer any further flexibility or will it perform just like the Auber version? ... Etc ...

Thanks from North Carolina ...

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E to the Forum Tim_in_NC!

Quote from: Tim_in_NC on August 17, 2009, 09:52:47 AM
I'm trying to decide if it's better to purchase an Original Bradley Smoker and add a Auber Instruments, Programmable PID ... or should I just pick up the Digital Version of the Bradley Smoker ???

Is the Aumber more consistent?  Will the controller on the Digital Bradley Smoker offer any further flexibility or will it perform just like the Auber version? ... Etc ...

The answer is.... It depends.

A PID is more accurate than the DBS.

Having said that, do you need all that accuracy ?

If you are "making BBQ" - Pork butt, Brisket, etc. or Ribs.... - The answer is No, not really.

If you want to do the above plus Sausage, Salmon, or any item that needs temp "Ramping" (increasing the temp in steps or stages) Then get a PID.

What I am trying to say is you don't _need_ a PID to make good food in a Bradley smoker.

As far as _want_ ... That's another story.

I have an OBS with a PID. I use the ramp feature (this is in the Auber "programmable" model) to pre-heat the box and then step the temp down for the food.

I have done salmon and I have sausage on my todo list.

the OBS/PID is a less expensive way to go than a DBS/PID - since the PID is displacing the digital part anyway.

Finding the place on the slider control for the OBS (without a PID) is a learning process, and it depends on the load in the box.

When I load ~30lbs of pork butt in there, it's going to be on MAX the entire time... smaller loads not so much.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

FLB has it right "depends"

I have the BDS 6 rack and till i over shot the temp on some sausage it worked great then i got the PID its not the programable model but i can do that.

If you plan on doing sausage and or fish the PID is the way to go but like i said you can do sausage in the dig just have to pay closer attention to it when you are ramping the temp up sometimes when you bump up your temp the dig will over shoot and when that happens all you have to do is crack the door open for a sec then watch it tell the temp balances out again.

As far as anything else you want to smoke the Digital Bradley will work fine

If i were to do it over again i would have got the 6 rack origanal and the programable PID

Tim_in_NC

thanks guys ... Looks like the OBS + PID will be the way to go for me as I very much intend on using the smoker for fish and sausage ...

thanks again,

TIM

mikecorn.1

They pretty much got you covered, welcome to the forum. I have a dbs 4 with a maverick et-73. its all need for now. i dont make any sausage. Mainly stick to butts, ribs, chicken,briket, sometimes abt's and moinkballs.
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tim_in_NC on August 17, 2009, 10:43:02 AM
thanks guys ... Looks like the OBS + PID will be the way to go for me as I very much intend on using the smoker for fish and sausage ...

thanks again,

TIM

A PID with the Bradley is a great addition. It will help with everything.

nepas

pkcdirect

Welcome to the forum Golfnut...

I just bought a new 6 rack digital for an unheard of price here, you might want to check them out.  
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/outdoor/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52_53&products_id=8102
They have them for $376.32 + Shipping I believe they are in Florida so your shipping would be less than mine I would assume...

Mine is due here tomorrow according to UPS.

Good Luck From Kansas
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

Tenpoint5

Tim either way you go you will be fine. I have the DBS4 "No PID" and I make Sausage and Smoke fish without too many problems. The PID is a Great investment if you need it or want it. I don't. With the PID you just set it and go back into the house. While in the house you are continually bombarded with "Honey Do's" or "Dad can I's" or "He/She hit me, bit me, wont let me etc.." Kinda cuts into the peaceful consumption of Adult Beverages while in the garage, listening to some music, tending to and watching over the Bradley while it does its thing.
In closing Its like this
PID = Harassment
No PID = Peace Love and BBQ
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikeradio

Welcome Tim

I have used the OBS with and without the PID, and I love the PID, worth every penny.

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 17, 2009, 02:14:58 PM
Tim either way you go you will be fine. I have the DBS4 "No PID" and I make Sausage and Smoke fish without too many problems. The PID is a Great investment if you need it or want it. I don't. With the PID you just set it and go back into the house. While in the house you are continually bombarded with "Honey Do's" or "Dad can I's" or "He/She hit me, bit me, wont let me etc.." Kinda cuts into the peaceful consumption of Adult Beverages while in the garage, listening to some music, tending to and watching over the Bradley while it does its thing.
In closing Its like this
PID = Harassment
No PID = Peace Love and BBQ

Hey 10.5, you could still use the PID and not tell any one. Then you have the best of both worlds.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes