• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Louisville

Started by Caneyscud, August 17, 2009, 05:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Gotta be in Louisville Wed. and Thurs.  Been a long time since I've been to Louisville, so need to know what is fun/good to go to or to eat at! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

I see you got a lot of replies  >:(

Where did you end up going ?

I will be in Louisville Wed-Fri next week.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 07:10:21 AM
I see you got a lot of replies  >:(

Where did you end up going ?

I will be in Louisville Wed-Fri next week.

I missed this one before..

My wife and MIL went there a couple summers ago to take in a Cardinals-Reds series.  See if you have time to take the Louisville Slugger factory tour.  She said it was really neat.

FLBentRider

I'm not going to have a lot of time to sight see, unfortunately.

I'll barley have time to eat.
:P

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 07:23:54 AM

Hey wait a minute....I think your going to drink beer....."Barley". LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on November 06, 2009, 07:33:38 AM
Quote from: FLBentRider on November 06, 2009, 07:23:54 AM

Hey wait a minute....I think your going to drink beer....."Barley". LOL

If (when) I drink there it will be bourbon. I will be very near bourbon county!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Louisville.  Home of the famous hot brown open faced sandwich, Kentucky derby pecan pie and of course Bourbon!

Hope you have a good trip.

KyNola

Caneyscud

Go to Greaters Ice Cream - order Black Raspberry chocolate chip - go find yourself a quiet corner outta the way, because you'll be doing that When Harry met Sally thingie and everybody will be looking at ya real funny.

If you like baseball in any fashion, you have to take in the Louisville slugger factory.  Man, do they have some bats that will wow ya. 

I tried hot browns a few places, but next time it will only be the original at the Brown's Hotel downtown.

There's a sports bar on the other side of the river from Louisville, that is pretty good and open late for food.  Good decor (fishing) and atmosphere when we were there.  Plus a knock out view of Louisville from across the river. 

They say the Kentucky Derby museum is pretty good, but it was closed for some reason when I was there. 

Would have gone to a couple of other places, but ended up at the KY State Fair - it was a heck of a good fair - spent a lot of time there. 

Found only one fly shop and it wasn't anything to jump up and down about although the owner was very nice. 

There is supposedly a glass blowing factory that has tours, but could not find it or the GPS was cornfused! 

There is a place that claims to have made the original cheeseburger. 

There is an artsy "bohemian" district call the Highlands.  Lots of restaurants, shops, galleries and the like.  Only got to drive thru on the way to someplace else.  I'd just be aware of what bar you go into though. 

Culinarily Louisville is diverse and substantial - lots of high end restaurants. 
Not high end, but wanted to go into Ramsi's Cafe of the World - a few people really recommended it.  Next door to it is a highly recommended Indian restaurant.

Caves are not far from Louisville, including Mammoth Cave.  Louisville has some parks worth driving through.  I went to Iroquois Park - it has a great view of downtown. 

Worth just driving through downtown - lots of the old facades have been preserved.  And Old Louisville has a lot of old grand Victorian homes if you like architecture.   The area of St James Court and Bravaria Court is particularly neat.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

FLBentRider

I made it to Mark's Feed store BBQ last night.

There are two perspectives here.

Pre-Bradley ownership: "Wow, that was great pulled pork and ribs!" The fried corn was.. Different and good"

Now: " Not bad for commercially produced BBQ, not enough smoke flavor, no bark, and it needed sauce. without sauce it was almost bland. the ribs, while advertised in the menu as FOTB, were not as FOTB as I make them, and were a little on the dry side. The "hot" BBQ sauce was not. The fried corn was.. Different and good"

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!