OBS to arrive tonight

Started by kitchendad, August 20, 2009, 07:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkcdirect

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

OU812

Bacon Bacon Bacon Bacon Bacon Bacon

Aint nothing better than homemade Bacon

What are you going to smoke wile your waiting for the bacon to cure?

kitchendad

The smoker is set up and seasoned.  We'll be off doing other things for dinner tonight but I wanted to smoke something today so I did a few chicken thighs for lunch.  Just a simple rub, an hour in the smoke then glazed them with our bbq sauce and onto the grill for a few minutes to crisp up and give the sauce some time on the heat.  Every other Sunday we do "Sunday Dinner" for a bunch of our friends, this week I am gonna smoke two small shoulders that I was going to turn into breakfast sausage.  Sausage can wait!  But not too long!

I do have one question.  What do you do with the slightly charred puck that ends up next to the burner?  Throw it out or use it next time?
Just a dad cooking for the family.

mikecorn.1

get you some bubba pucks. 3 of them to be exact. you can keep reusing that one to use it as what i call a pusher puck till you get some bubbas. i learned right away that i would be wasting pucks if i didnt get any. got mine from yardandpool.com
Mike

FLBentRider

So what did you think of the chicken you made.

bubba pucks. yardandpool.com
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

kitchendad

The chicken was good.  I think the hybrid method did its job, an hour in the smoke gave it plenty of smoke flavor, the skin was somewhat crisp - though not as much as my daughter's would have liked - the sauce formed a nice glaze.  I pulled the chicken at 170, so it was perfectly moist, your not gonna get that at any BBQ joints around here.
Just a dad cooking for the family.

rdevous

YUMMMMM!!!  Always remember that bacon grease is a food group and also an uncontrolled addictive substance.....hoard it for later uses!!!

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

jerry52

just got mine a few days ago and have noticed that when i seasoned the smoker that i had smoke coming from the generator.
this is due to the vent being closed to much .
after reading I learned that this is a no no  for the digital smoker.

welcome and good luck there is a lot of great advice on this website