• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Rib question?

Started by watchdog56, August 21, 2009, 08:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I was thinking of using 10.5 recipe for ribs but only need to adjust it? First off, the people who we want to make these for would like to try ribs with just a dry rub. I was wondering if I rubbed them tomorrow and  smoked them sunday how long should I cook them? The other problem is we are going to their cabin the following weekend and would like to eat them up there. They do not have a smoker up there and bringing mine up would be to much of  a hassle. Also they have a gas grill up there so should I reheat them on the grill or in the oven? Do I need to wrap in foil for a week or will that ruin them? Should I heat them in foil or leave them either in oven or on open rack on grill?

Ka Honu

The "real" experts will be along directly but in the meantime...

I use sauce on my ribs about half the time.  It's not required.  Smoke them per 10.5's tutorial and just omit the sauce on the final finish (in Bradley, on grill, or in oven).

If you're cooking more than a day or so ahead, I'd probably cool them before the final finish, then vac-pack or put in a Ziploc bag and throw them in the freezer; then thaw and finish on the grill at the cabin.  I'm not all that comfortable with refrigerating them for a week - not sure it's bad, just something I wouldn't do.

FLBentRider

I would cook them the same amount of time, less the last step to set the sauce.

Check them first, they may need the time anyway.

I would use the oven to reheat, wrap them in foil.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

I would be of the same frame of mind as FLB. Cook the ribs complete until the meat is pulled back from the bones, let them cool then vac seal or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for a couple days. Then thaw them out and finish/heat them up indirect on the grill at the cabin. At that point you can put on and set some sauce for those that like sauce or leave just the rub on. That way you don't have to worry about any nasties forming and all your doing is reheating the ribs. I have loosely foiled/tented ribs with a splash of Apple juice and reheated this way before works pretty good.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Caneyscud

No sauce - My kinda people!

What 10.5 said works real well!!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Ka Honu

Quote from: FLBentRider on August 22, 2009, 05:29:07 AMI would cook them the same amount of time, less the last step to set the sauce.

FLB  - Thanks for clarifying what I meant by "final finish." This getting old stuff sucks; sometimes I come up with esoteric terms that make sense only to me (and sometimes I'm not even that lucky).

HawkeyeSmokes

The guys have given you a lot of good advice. About the only thing I would add is not to wrap your ribs in foil to refrigerate or freeze. I have heard that doing that can impart an off flavor. If you use plastic wrap first, then foil you would be fine.
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

Thanks for the advice. Think I will smoke them then wait for them to cool then vacuum pack and freeze.

squirtthecat

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 22, 2009, 04:13:31 PM
The guys have given you a lot of good advice. About the only thing I would add is not to wrap your ribs in foil to refrigerate or freeze. I have heard that doing that can impart an off flavor. If you use plastic wrap first, then foil you would be fine.

Really?  Has anyone else had this problem?  I dig foil...  But does it have some kind of adverse reaction with the foil? (or could it be from the rub/sauce slathered on the meat?)

Curious (and scientific) minds want to know.

Ka Honu

I'd be hesitant to store anything acidic in foil (but my degree is not in chemistry so I'm just guessing).

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on August 22, 2009, 06:35:56 PM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 22, 2009, 04:13:31 PM

Really?  Has anyone else had this problem?  I dig foil...  But does it have some kind of adverse reaction with the foil? (or could it be from the rub/sauce slathered on the meat?)

Curious (and scientific) minds want to know.

I've found if you store it more then a couple of days the acids from the smoke along with the salts will eat away at the foil. First you will notice a discoloration of the foil where it has come in contact with the meat, and if left in contact longer you will see pit or pockmark holes in the foil. Ingesting small amounts aluminum is not bad for you, we come in contact and digest it from a variety of sources, but it will impart a bitter taste in the meat. As with all minerals there is a toxic level, but the levels you could ingest from this type of intake is safe. As HR states for longer storage wrap in plastic wrap first, the follow with foil.

PS
I forgot to add this include all aluminum products that are not anodized aluminum.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Cool, thanks.   I have seen that (discoloration) in foil and wondered what it was from.   Nothing last long enough to end up in the freezer around here...   Although my big piggy last night might get divied up into vacupaks and frozen.

watchdog56

Well I smoked the ribs and man do they look and smell good. Can't wait to taste them. My other dilema is the gas grill up at the cabin has the burner running the length of the grill and I would like to indirect cook them for the last hour or so. The grate is not far from the burner. I might be able to turn one burner off either front or back but I think it may still be to close and burn the ribs. There is a "small" top rack that I might be able to fit them on but I would sure hate to burn them. Should I put them in foil and leave the top open or should I just finish the ribs in the oven?

Habanero Smoker

If the ribs are fully cooked you can use a method of flash reheating. That is reheating at a very high temperature, such as direct heat grilling. This method reheat thin cuts of meat thoroughly without recooking. For spare ribs it takes me 8 to 10 minutes on the grill 4 to 5 minutes each side. If you are adding a sauce, first grill meat side down, flip, apply sauce and continue to heat another 4  to 5 minutes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

watchdog56

Well reheated ribs in oven wrapped in foil with a little apple juice. 350 for 1 hour. (Was afraid it might have dried out in gas grill). Using 10.5 recipe it calls for 1/2 cup of Kosher salt. I used Morton's canning salt instead. Ribs seemed a little salty but very moist. Does anyone know if the salts are close to each other? Could I just forget about using salt at all?