Here we go!

Started by JSaloisSr, August 24, 2009, 11:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Jerry

Even our mistakes taste good, maybe not what we expected but still good

Did you put the ribs in foil after the smoke?

Thats kinda why i do the foil pan thing i posted earlier, helps keep them moist.

Caneyscud

Jerry, Welcome to the site!  And a Heartfelt thank you for your service to our country!   I want to say I'm sorry about not seeing this post sooner.  In reading your first post, I'm not sure if you were going 6 hours total or 8 hours total.  And I don't know the temp you were cooking at.  However, either way, it is probably way too much time.  That is why the dryness.  CS ribs are quite often actually from the very front of the loin, just above the shoulder of the oinker, rather than the rib area of the pig.  Over the years, I have had very good luck simply grilling them (over a low fire) rather than low n slow as they are not too often real tough.  They can be a bit tricky going the low n slow route -  they can be "done" before they are fall apart tender.  Basically, what you have is not 2.14 pounds of ribs but 6 pieces of shoulder weighing an average of .36 pound.  Doesn't seem like that should make a diff, but it does.  The rule of thumb is a smoking time of 1.5 to 2 hours at 225 deg.  With that timing, then the smoke would figure to be .5 to .75 hours.  However, that might be enough time to get them done, remembering they are kinda shoulder meat, and they might not be as tender as you would want.  Although the meat "fibers" have already been cut, there is still a lot of collagen and fat to render down to obtain that succulent melt-in-your mouth low n slow tenderness.  BTW - the same problem exists with beef shortribs, oxtail and other small, tough pieces.   You want to slowly get to an IT of at least 180 deg.  Probably a minimum of 3 hours possibly as much as 6 hours depending on the size of the pieces and the initial toughness.  I usually let them smoke for the entire time in the smoker - mopping a time or two.  However, for a beginner, I would probably recommend one of the rib methods designated by numbers - i.e. 2-1-1 or 3-2-1.  I'd recommend the 2-1-1 with instructions to check before doing the last hour as they might already be done.  The formula means 2 hours of smoke, 1 hour of foiled (with a splash of liquid) cooking, then one hour out of the foil on the smoker.  The initial 2 hours gives you your smoke flavor, the 1 hour in the foil or sealed foil pan sorta steams the meat - tenderizing and saving moistness as it "steams", and the last 1 hour finishes the cook - dries out the surface - and is the time you can glaze with a sauce if wanted.  However, with the meat you had, the meat might have been fall apart after the foil and would not need the last hour - the last hour could dry it out.  If you wanted, you could unfoil and add sauce and let it set while in the smoker for 15 minutes or so.  I did not touch rubs and sauces much as they are for your tastebuds and your partiality - not necessary for producing great smoked meat.  Any rub is appropriate - pick your favorite - and can be applied anytime from 5 minutes before cooking to a day or two before.  Some say, that the longer the better, but that is debatable due to experimental results.  Sauce is the same as rub.  If you like sauce use it, if not, don't.  I personally don't care for the sweetness et al covering up my meat and smoke flavor so lovingly gotten.  But others swear by it.  If you do use sauce, use one you like, and don't apply it until the last 15 to 30 minutes or so.  Or add after the cook.  It is your taste buds you are trying to please, not mine!  You probably don't want to add isauce at the beginning, unless you like the taste of burnt sugar.  FTC if you want, it doesn't hurt, but with the 2-1-1, and the small pieces, you probably don't need it unless they finish early and you need a way to keep them warm.    

BTW - as others said and it can't be said enough - NEVER close the vent down.  It needs to be at least 1/3 (should be more) open to vent moisture out.  The Bradley makes plenty of smoke even when the vent is wide open.  In actuality, many times the cabinet temp will decrease as the vent is closed down - has to do with the moisture in the air and thermodynamics.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JSaloisSr

I'm trying the WTS Brisket right now.  I'm using hickory (that's all I have now).  I'm wondering how long in the oven after the smoker.  Should I just use a meat thermometer and get to the temp he suggested?  I'm trying not to sound too stupid, but what I'm looking for is an approximate time so I don't have to keep opening the oven.

Thanks, :)

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 24, 2009, 12:20:53 PM
For your brisket, You Cannot go wrong if your follow this tutorial from the Brisket Master WTS Brisket
Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

FLBentRider

I would monitor the Internal temp of the meat.

Time is not consistent in the low and slow arena.

I've had pork butts and briskets take 14 hours or 20.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

FLBR has ya covered.  For whatever reason the pork butts have always been more variable for me than the brisket.  IT is the way to go.   Against our normal recommendations, I usually don't monitor the IT of a brisket.  A whole packer is a big piece of meat and it doesn't change all that quick.  So I monitor cabinet temp and about the time I think it is done (check say 1 1/4 hours per pound - most of the time they finish for me on most of my smokers in the 1 1/2 hour per pound range) , I periodically test with a Thermapen - until they are the IT I want.  I routinely cook on a rotisserie-type big smoker (holds 150+ pounds) and there is no way to remotely monitor the IT unless you put the transmitter inside the smoker - and they don't seem to like that!  Ergo - the reason I do my briskets that way.  Good luck Jerry - WE want pics of the outcome!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

JSaloisSr

I followed everyone's directions (thanks by the way).  The brisket turned out fantastic.  It was so large, it filled one rack end to end and side to side.  I didn't end up with much for bark and no discernable smoke ring, but the taste is great and it's really tender.

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 01, 2009, 01:48:15 PM

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

FLBentRider

Quote from: JSaloisSr on September 04, 2009, 12:58:25 PM
I followed everyone's directions (thanks by the way).  The brisket turned out fantastic.  It was so large, it filled one rack end to end and side to side.  I didn't end up with much for bark and no discernable smoke ring, but the taste is great and it's really tender.

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 01, 2009, 01:48:15 PM

You won't get a smoke ring with any electric smoker. There are more technical details, but they escape me at this time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!