Here we go!

Started by JSaloisSr, August 24, 2009, 11:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSaloisSr

Well, I just bought a Bradley Digital Smoker this weekend and am trying it for the first time today.  I am starting with pork country ribs.  I have 2.14 lbs. and from what I have read in the forum, and elsewhere, I am going with 6 hrs of cook time and 2 hrs of smoke time using hickory.  I have prepped the ribs with a dry rub and let them get to room temp before putting them in the smoker.  If I have screwed up anywhere please feel free to enlighten me.  Not to sound like a tight a**, but I'm retired and wasting money by ruining ribs is not what I would like to do.  Thanks in advance.  I've found a wealth of information here.

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt, USAF Retired
Sandwich, IL.
Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

Tenpoint5

I'm guessing they is Boneless CS Ribs. Should be thick chunky pieces. Personally I would go with 3 hours of smoke then the foil with a splash of Apple juice, then the hour with sauce to set the sauce real good. Maybe even cut the pieces in half if there big chunks makes for leftovers as well. Other than 3 hours of smoke instead of 2 sounds like a great Plan.

Welcome Aboard Jerry!!
As you have found out plenty of info and good folks around to help you out. I see your not to far away from me. I'm about 1/2 hour southwest of Dubuque, Ia
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JSaloisSr!

I have never ruined anything in my Bradley that I could not eat. In fact, my worst BBQ is better that most commercial places.

TenPoint5 has you pointed in the right direction.

Always keep the vent at least a little open.

Click on the ribs at the bottom of this post to go to our recipe site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. No way you can mess up the ribs. bunch of great folks around here. Just ask and it shall be answered.
Mike

JSaloisSr

I appreciate the welcome, I really need to learn this as I have a $30 full brisket from the meat market and want to smoke that next.

I will up the smoke another hour, (sure smells good now).  The country ribs I bought are cut about 2 in. thick and there are six of them.  They do have small flat bones in them.  I'd say they take up less than 10% of the rib by size.

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 24, 2009, 11:34:23 AM
I'm guessing they is Boneless CS Ribs. Should be thick chunky pieces. Personally I would go with 3 hours of smoke then the foil with a splash of Apple juice, then the hour with sauce to set the sauce real good. Maybe even cut the pieces in half if there big chunks makes for leftovers as well. Other than 3 hours of smoke instead of 2 sounds like a great Plan.

Welcome Aboard Jerry!!
As you have found out plenty of info and good folks around to help you out. I see your not to far away from me. I'm about 1/2 hour southwest of Dubuque, Ia
Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

Tenpoint5

For your brisket, You Cannot go wrong if your follow this tutorial from the Brisket Master WTS Brisket
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun

The guys have you going in the right direction

When i do CSR after 3 hr smoke i like to put the ribs in a foil roasting pan with some of your fav BBQ sauce diluted with apple juice and some slabs of onion on top wrap tightly with foil and put on the bottom rack for 2 or 3 hr then remove the ribs and place them back on the rack put the rack second down from the top and the foil pan with the juice on the rack just below the ribs. Makes a nice dipping sauce

mikeradio

Welcome  Lots of great information and people here!

Cheers

Mike

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there and welcome to the Bradley family.

I do have to salute you as you are taking giant steps for your first smoke. Looks like you
are doing okay. Lots of friendly folks  to guide you in almost any thing to do with smoking.

Best of luck

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on August 24, 2009, 12:20:53 PM
For your brisket, You Cannot go wrong if your follow this tutorial from the Brisket Master WTS Brisket

Welcome to the forum JSaloisSr! Lot's of good advice here. Like 10.5 said for your brisket, follow that tutorial from WTS and it will be great. Have fun with it.
HawkeyeSmokes

aces-n-eights

From one retiree to another, WELCOME!  And thanks for serving.  Enjoy retirement and this pursuit of wonderful smoked foods!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

pkcdirect

Welcome Jerry, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

JSaloisSr

Nice to meet a fellow GI.  The ribs came out great.  A bit dry, but the flavor was fantastic.  I'm very pleased for my first try.  Maybe I should close the damper a bit.  I had it open about 1/3 the way for most of the time and closed it at the end.

Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

Quote from: aces-n-eights on August 24, 2009, 02:43:03 PM
From one retiree to another, WELCOME!  And thanks for serving.  Enjoy retirement and this pursuit of wonderful smoked foods!
Jerry Salois Sr.
MSgt USAF Retired
Sandwich, Il.

HawkeyeSmokes

Don't close that vent. That can cause problems like like an ashy taste or worse, ruining the smoke generator. I always keep it at least 1/2 open or more. You never want to smoke backing up by the generator.
HawkeyeSmokes

aces-n-eights

Happy to hear you like the flavor - good stuff!  I would recommend keeping your vent open throughout the smoke/cook process.  I've run mine at 3/4 open for so long i think the smoke residue has locked it in place!   You really want the moisture to escape and the smoke to move thru the tower.  

As to the dryness, i might suggest FTC - if you've looked around the site much you'll know that stands for Foil, Towel, Cooler.  Wrap the ribs in foil, maybe with a splash of liquid, wrap in a towel and then into a cooler.  The cooler acts as an insulated box and the meat continues to cook and steam itself.  In my experience that keeps the meat juicy and infuses the smoke flavor throughout.

Enjoy!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8