Some HOT ABT's

Started by HawkeyeSmokes, August 24, 2009, 02:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

The ABTs look really good HS.  It looks like you have your bacon wrapping technique down pat!  I love jalapenos, Hungarian wax and the Thai hots, the latter being too small to stuff (I think).  I hadn't heard about the ADTs before.  Hmmm, my brother-in-law is coming over this weekend (he likes tofu, bean sprouts and yogurt).  It might be a good time to try out the ADTs.  ;D ;D ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on September 16, 2009, 04:03:20 PM
The ABTs look really good HS.  It looks like you have your bacon wrapping technique down pat!  I love jalapenos, Hungarian wax and the Thai hots, the latter being too small to stuff (I think).  I hadn't heard about the ADTs before.  Hmmm, my brother-in-law is coming over this weekend (he likes tofu, bean sprouts and yogurt).  It might be a good time to try out the ADTs.  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks Arnie. The bacon wrapping is pretty easy thanks to a post on the forum. Can't remember who it was, but they recommended using cheap thin cut bacon and let it warm to room temperature before wrapping. It gets pretty elastic and forms well then. I just start by going over the cut end and turn it to wrap and then use a toothpick to hold in place.

What I would do with those Thai hots is, dice them and add to the filling for jalapenos or the Hungarian wax peppers. Those little things taste good put pack a lot of heat. The idea sounds pretty good and I'm glad you mentioned them. I think you need to try em out on the brother-in-law.  :D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on September 16, 2009, 05:59:45 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on September 16, 2009, 04:03:20 PM
What I would do with those Thai hots is, dice them and add to the filling for jalapenos or the Hungarian wax peppers. Those little things taste good put pack a lot of heat. The idea sounds pretty good and I'm glad you mentioned them. I think you need to try em out on the brother-in-law.  :D

That's a great idea HS.  I used to think I was pretty creative - now I know I have a lot to learn/imagine.  Unfortunately, the Thai hots aren't ready yet and it's getting late in the season.  I'm hoping for more hot weather here but it doesn't look too promising.  Pic below (dark and raining).  That's one of my Asian eggplants in the background.  I did one on the grill last night.  Very simple; Cut in half lengthwise, EVOO and grill it.  It was good (almost no visible seeds) but then, eggplant is pretty much eggplant.

-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

From I have seen Arnie, you are pretty creative. That's what this forum is about, learning and sharing ideas. I got a lot of my ideas on peppers for ABT's by reading the posts from pensrock. He has a lot of good ideas.
By the way, that picture makes me a little jealous, I don't have a garden and sure wish I did.  :( Home grown vegies are by far the best!
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Thanks for the encouragement and faith HS.  Yeah, pens does some (better than) pretty good stuff.

Actually, that's not a garden.  They're growing on my deck in something called an EarthBox http://earthbox.com/ .  It works amazingly well though is a bit pricey.  I had previously cleared about 1/8 acre of trees, stumps and rocks - yes we have a lot of rocks here in southern CT.  Put a 4 foot wire fence around it and planted bunches of good stuff.  The raccoons went over the fence, the ground hogs dug under under it and one day, when I accidentally left the gate open, the deer finished off the rest.  So, now I grow on my deck.  No weeds and very little maintenance, mostly water.  You can grow almost anything in the boxes.  There's another box out of the picture (see below) with grape and slicing tomatoes and more peppers - YES I like peppers.

The EarthBox cuddled up with my OBS.

-- Arnie

classicrockgriller

Hawkeye, those peppers (ABT) look awesome

Arnie,that is my kind of gardening

Looks great

HawkeyeSmokes

Thanks CRG. And Arnie, that EarthBox looks great. Never seen that before but am going to save that one for next spring. The girlfriend would love it as she really likes to grow plants and it would be perfect for her. And with any luck, I would get to enjoy the harvest.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Actually, that's a pretty poor specimen.  Nothing grew very well here this year.  Cool temps, not much sun and a lot of rain.  Last year, I grew tomatoes and peppers in one box and it looked like a jungle.  So I got a second box last fall and then mother nature nailed me this year.   >:(
-- Arnie

DTAggie

I know this is an old post but making some ABTs this weekend and had a few questions.

Did the recipe only make the 20 ABTs in the picture or more than 20?

Is one hour of smoke about all you want?

Ideal smoking temp?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: DTAggie on June 28, 2010, 01:58:08 PM
I know this is an old post but making some ABTs this weekend and had a few questions.

Did the recipe only make the 20 ABTs in the picture or more than 20?

Is one hour of smoke about all you want?

Ideal smoking temp?

I think I had extra filling on this batch. When I do, I just put it in a Zip Lock bag and freeze it. All I do then for the next batch is thaw, snip a corner and pipe it in.

An hour of smoke time is a starting point.

Then you can adjust to your taste.

Hope this helps DTAggie .

HawkeyeSmokes

DTAggie

Gizmo

Quote from: ArnieM on September 16, 2009, 06:24:24 PM

That's one of my Asian eggplants in the background.  I did one on the grill last night.  Very simple; Cut in half lengthwise, EVOO and grill it.  It was good (almost no visible seeds) but then, eggplant is pretty much eggplant.[/color]

So the Asian eggplant is just as disappointing as the regular eggplants eh?  I have cracked a few of them open and not a single yolk in the lot let alone any egg white coming out.  Nice pretty purple color though.  Was hoping to get a purple egg out of it.  ;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

ArnieM

Giz -

I had a large egplant one time with double yolks  ;D  The Asian ones are really nice for a quick grill or cubed in a stir fry.

ABTs -

It's my understanding that the pointier the end, the hotter it will be.  Most of those little pointy peppers are hot.

If you have pointy and round, separate them into groups.  Get out enough toothpicks to secure the bacon.  Count out what you need for the pointy ones and dip the ends into red food coloring.  It'll be easier to tell them apart.

If using hickory smoked bacon, use hickory smoke.  In other words, match the smoke to the bacon.  One hour should be sufficient.  Then cook until the bacon is done.

I usually par boil the whole cored and seeded peppers.  Add about 1 tsp of salt one one TBS of sugar to a quart of water.  Scale as required.  Bring to a boil, dissolve the salt and sugar and then add the peppers.  One to two minutes.  Drain them and give them a cold water bath.  It takes a bit of the heat out and they won't come out crunchy.

The base for the stuffing is usually cream cheese.  After that, add what you want.  I've done 'em with an addition of five different shredded cheeses, parsley, cilantro, finely chopped fried bacon or pulled pork (not all at once).

Be creative and enjoy.
-- Arnie

DTAggie

Thanks Arnie.  Good tips