A recipe to use up some of those cucumbers and tomatoes

Started by seemore, August 25, 2009, 06:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

I got this recipe from a coworker several years back.  It is easy, tasty, and uses up some of those cukes and tomatoes that seem to ripen all at the same time.

Cucumber Salsa
8 cucumbers, peeled & chopped
8 - 10 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
1/4 - 1/2 C diced red onion
1 jar of Italian dressing - I use the Zesty Italian

Combine the ingredients and chill.  Serve with chips, crackers, etc.
You may want to add more dressing.

Caribou

Yeah! A recipe that uses a lot of cucumbers and it looks good!
I just ran 8lbs of cucs through the grinder to make a dill pickle relish, they're brining on the counter right now!  :D
But there will be more on the vines tomorrow.
Thanks,
Carolyn

seemore

That is our next adventure:  canning.  I have always been leery of it.  Might as well just jump right in and do it!

Caribou

Oh you should. Check out my blog, I recently did an entry how easy it is to can jams and jellies.
Also, here's a great link to help you find out more:
http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php
And I do believe you can purchase the Ball Blue Book of Canning from there, you can learn to can anything from it.
Carolyn

pensrock

Love cukes and maters!!! This year we did not get any tomatoes or taters because this area was hit bad with 'late blight' at least I think thats what it was called. Right now I should have maters everywhere, almost everyone in the area already have all tomato and potato plants pulled, gardens look empty except for peppers. Terrible thing.  :(

But your recipe sounds good. Maybe next year.  :)

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Seemore,

I am having a couple of friends over for snacks this evening and your salsa is a God send. Will try it .Thanks

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

seemore

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"