• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help - Broken Generator? (or this really ISN'T a foolproof smoker!)

Started by monty, August 26, 2009, 06:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

So I picked up my Bradley tonight, raced home, unpacked everything and can't get the smoke generator to power on!

The Bradley instruction manual says (verbatim):

Plug the short power cord (A) from the smoke generator into the smoker tower.

and goes on to say:

Plug the longer power cord (E-not shown) from smoker tower into the approved grounded electrical outlet.

Am I crazy or does this configuration not work?! If I plug the LONG cord from the outlet, to the tower/cabinet then there is nothing powering the generator (the cabinet power light does come on though)

What I am doing (and what seems to make sense?) is plugging the LONG power cord from the outlet, to the generator - then the SHORT cord from the generator to the tower/cabinet. However, nothing will power on.

What I am doing wrong here? Boy this is aggravating!
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

monty

Oh and to add insult to injury - the retailer I bought it from (Canadian Tire) will NOT take it back or exchange the unit since it's been opened!
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

lumpy

Call CT head office and tell them the deal.
I returned a 4 rack original (box was opened) because I got a better deal at Natural sports for a digital. (same price!)

Lumpy

HawkeyeSmokes

It sounds like you have it set up correct. Have you checked the fuse to see if it's good? And this is a long shot, but have you checked the outlet your plugging into to make sure it's working? I'm sure others will be on with ideas including Brian from the head office. I'm sure of one thing, Bradley will take care of the problem, even if Canadian Tire won't help.
HawkeyeSmokes

monty

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on August 26, 2009, 06:39:25 PM
It sounds like you have it set up correct. Have you checked the fuse to see if it's good? And this is a long shot, but have you checked the outlet your plugging into to make sure it's working? I'm sure others will be on with ideas including Brian from the head office. I'm sure of one thing, Bradley will take care of the problem, even if Canadian Tire won't help.

fuse is good. that was the first thing i checked.

the outlet works fine. if i plug the power cord directly into the tower/cabinet, it will power on. the problem is when i introduce the generator - both the generator and the cabinet will not power on. to be sure, i also tried the whole setup on another outlet. no go!

Quote from: lumpy on August 26, 2009, 06:37:06 PM
Call CT head office and tell them the deal.
I returned a 4 rack original (box was opened) because I got a better deal at Natural sports for a digital. (same price!)

Lumpy

i'm not even going to deal with CT. their customer service is horrendous. people have warned me about buying 'big ticket' items from them for this very reason - they will always refuse returns/exchanges unless the item is in its original packaging and unused.

i know i will have to deal directly with Bradley now but i'm not really keen on shipping anything to them and waiting. CT should just exchange my unit!
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

DoubleTSmoker

Monty,  I am sure you have tried this, but you sure the plugs are pushed in really well?  I had a power problem and it was just that one of the plugs wasn't seated well.  You could also remove the perimeter screws on the bottom of the generator to open it up and see if you have a disconnection somewhere. 

monty

Quote from: DoubleTSmoker on August 26, 2009, 07:02:45 PM
Monty,  I am sure you have tried this, but you sure the plugs are pushed in really well?  I had a power problem and it was just that one of the plugs wasn't seated well.  You could also remove the perimeter screws on the bottom of the generator to open it up and see if you have a disconnection somewhere. 

i have connected, disconnect, pushed/pulled, every plug  :-\
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Monty

Your long power cord should go from the generator to the wall outlet and the short cord jumps between the generator and tower.

If this is the way you have it plugged in.

Is the power light on the generator on?
Have you turned the on/off switch on?

If you have done all this and it still wont power on  i would say you might have a wire off inside the generator. If you want to open the generator up and take a look.
To open it up remove the 8 screws on the bottom of the generator the perimeter screws only.

I dont understand why CT would not take it back that is not there policy but  we dont control them either.

If you cant get it to work give me a call at the office in the morning and i will get you fixed up.

Thanks Brian

monty

upon further inspection it looks like the unit has been roughed up quite a bit. i wouldn't doubt if this is why the generator is not working.

the faceplate is cracked:

-------------------------

i will certainly be calling Bradley ASAP tomorrow. frankly i'm quite pissed with Canadian Tire because i was planning to entertain this weekend and get the smoker fired up (intending to season tonight, and do a test-run tomorrow/Friday)
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Monty

The crack in the face plate has nothing to do with the generator not working.

I would put this smoker back in the box and take it back to the store and tell them it was damaged when you unpacked it
and you want a exchange or your money back.

Brian

monty

Quote from: Bradley (Head Office) on August 26, 2009, 07:16:09 PM
I would put this smoker back in the box and take it back to the store and tell them it was damaged when you unpacked it
and you want a exchange or your money back.

Hi Brian,

CT is telling me "to return an item for exchange or refund, bring it to any Canadian Tire store within 90 days, in its original condition and packaging". Meaning they would have taken it if it was unopened and in brand new re-sellable condition.

I know this isn't your problem but I am at a loss on what to do here.

Will call Bradley HQ tomorrow...
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070

Mr Walleye

Hi Monty

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm from Sask. and I have never had a problem with returning anything to CT, damaged packaging or having been opened or not. I would ask to speak to the manager and have him explain how you could possibly be able to view the contents of the box and inspect for damage without opening it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Monty

I cant understand CT, did you try putting it back in the box and taking it back to the store.

We will get you fixed up one way or the other that you do not need to worry about

Give me a call and we will sort this out

Brian

HawkeyeSmokes

Monty, one way or another you are covered. Call CT and talk to a manager and I bet they will fix the problem. If not, Brian from Bradley will, they are the best. Good luck.
HawkeyeSmokes

monty

Just an update for everyone...

I spoke to Brian this morning who gave me a couple diagnostics to check out (fuse, open up generator to ensure wires weren't loose, etc). Everything checked out and the generator still would not function. He graciously sent me out a new one, as well as a new faceplate! No hassles!

Couldn't be happier with the service received - it was quick and painless.

Thanks Brian!
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070