new to smoking

Started by Stuart, August 28, 2009, 09:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart

Hi
I've been a butcher for 37 years  but I'm completely new to smoking. I particularly want to smoke chicken and venison to supply hotels and restaurants and would appreciate some tips. Also I'd love  to make good pastrami can any body suggest a good recipe? Thanks

sodak

Welcome.  You've just found the best site online.  Lots of recipes at susanminor.org which is loosely affiliated with the site.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Stuart!

Click on the ribs at the bottom of this post, it will take you to our recipe site were you will find smoked chicken as well as pastrami.

I highly recommend the "Pastrami from Habanero Smoker"
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

Chicken and Deer two of my favorites

muzzletim

Welcome aboard, read the posts and ask questions, you will be amazed at the knowledge here!
Tim

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. Ask away. You will get the answers you are seeking.  ;D   Make sure and keep that vent all the way open for chicken.
Mike

mikeradio

Welcome  Stuart  Lots of great people and information here, nice to have people with your experience on the forum.

Mike

westexasmoker

Welcome to the fourm Stuart!  I'm with FLBR, Habs Pastrami is a darn good one!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: westexasmoker on August 28, 2009, 11:14:37 AM
Welcome to the fourm Stuart!  I'm with FLBR, Habs Pastrami is a darn good one!  Good luck and keep us posted!
C

I have used Hab's Pastrami recipe and the one out of the book Charcuterie.
I used deer with each one and they were both great.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Stuart on August 28, 2009, 09:05:02 AM
Hi
I've been a butcher for 37 years  but I'm completely new to smoking. I particularly want to smoke chicken and venison to supply hotels and restaurants and would appreciate some tips. Also I'd love  to make good pastrami can any body suggest a good recipe? Thanks

Welcome to the Bradley family Stuart. The place where the nicest smokers are.

I am flying to Aleppo Syria on a business trip tomorrow evening where there is a very large Armenian minority. As you may know, pastrami was perfected by Armenians and I just happen to know just about the best butcher making them there. I shall be gone for a couple of weeks and I promise to make the time to visit him and get you a very old pastrami recipe from him and his mother. I will post it to you as soon as I get it.

I have one question though, do you want one with the heavy spices (eating about 50 grams of that would make you s
sweat and smell like pastrami for the next 3 days) or would you rather have the milder version?

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Stuart!
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

HR

I would be intersted in an old perfected pastrami recipe also

Keep us posted

Mr Walleye

Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.

HR

I'll be real interested to see an old world recipe too.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on August 28, 2009, 02:12:32 PM
HR

I would be intersted in an old perfected pastrami recipe also

Keep us posted
Quote from: Mr Walleye on August 28, 2009, 02:18:37 PM
Hi Stuart and welcome to the forum.

HR

I'll be real interested to see an old world recipe too.

Mike

Ou812, Mike and Stuart,

I am just going to get both types; smelly and mild
and will post them hopefully by the end of next week.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.