• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Going with the Bradley!

Started by johnintx1, February 20, 2005, 02:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnintx1

Hello,so much info on smoking!!!
Been smoking for a couple years with a red brinkmann electric with pretty good results.Iam ready to move up to a better unit. Was thinking about a great Outdoors Propane from Walmart for now and then move on up to the Cadillac "BRADLEY" in a year or so, as I thought the BS was over my head, for now at $500.00 + shipping.
Does anyone know anything about the Cookshack ?? I know it cost more ,but ,is it worth it?? Which is the best??

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this ,a new guy here ,john welch

nsxbill

You are paying premium prices for Bradley Bisquettes.  For a conventional smoker use the type wood that is recommended.  Can't see the point is using bisquettes, unles you feel like throwing money out the window.  Lots of sources for wood...check out your cabinet shops and hardwood supplier locally for freebies or order on line...even with shipping probably less than bisquettes.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

johnintx1,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">....a cleaned smoke?? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The reason you get a "clean smoke" in the Bradley is mainly because of the ability of the Bradley to smoke for 20 minutes and then extinguish the puck before it has time to burn out completely. When wood is given the chance to burn all the way to ash, it gives off less desirable fumes.

Buy a Bradley if you have not.

Doug

simmy

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Buy a Bradley if you have not.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is the best advice to take John!! I agree with Jaeger 150%

Steve

johnintx1

My interest was the so called cleaner smoke i have read about here on this forum. i wish i could get the bradley but will have to settle for this great outdoor 34 inch wide body from walmart for now ,BUT next time i WILL go for the BSS!!

johnintx1

I have used the red electric brinkmann gormet for 2 years  with a SS wood chip smoker box.I have had great results with this cheap-simple unit. I sold it today for 25 bucks and want to move up to a bigger better unit.
 I have read quite a bit about problems with the auto feeder on the BS not working and/or working to much and not shutting off. worries me alittle that there are so many units with this problem. also it seems that the BS takes much longer to get the product finished verses say a propane smoker with fully adjustable controls. lots of talk about not being able to get/or keep the  the temp up as well on the BS. And its alot of money (at least for me) ...to have a hassle with it after you spend that much on a smoker.
I do agree its the best looking unit ever , and i belive that most all of the people here really love it.

I can get the black BS for 299.00 + 28.85 S&H, + 1.20 INS. =$329.05 to my door. I can get the B SS for $369.00+ 28.85 S&H + 1.60 INS. to my door . both units with come with a WEATHER RESISTANT COVER
,1 pack of 60 bisq. and the smoking video. Right now!
Which unit would anyone recomend if i was to "just go for the Bradley" ,Black or the SS????

However, i can get the walmart Great Outdoors Grill Co. 34" Wide Body Smoky Mountain Gas Smoker and the Smoke n Spice book to my door for 187.01 from walmart online.i have to order the cover and the temp guage from other places (walmart does not carry them).
the cover for it for 32.15 to my door, and the Maverick ET-73 temp guage to my door for 50.44, all for a total of
$ 269.60.which is (i hope) much better than i have had with the brinkmann.
my thinking is i can get this cheaper unit with all the acessories, i think i need, use it for a year or 2, sell it and then move up to the top of the line. get the BSS when i may be better able to invest that much $$ on the cadilac BSS smoker!
What thoughts ,if any does anyone have on this?? thank you ,johnintx1

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome to the forum! let me ask you this how much is your time worth? to spend the extra 100 or so dollars, , in a year or two the hours will turn into weeks that you have pulled your hair out and the stress from standing over you smoker, and then for you to be saying why didnt i get the bradley for the next two years . then trying to sell your used wallmart smoker for $40  after 2 years, then your wife will be mad at you for saying why didnt i get the bradley, then you will be kicking the dog because you burnt the ribs and never get the temp right, oh and then the vet bills for having a over weight dog and cat from giving all the bad meat that dindt turm out well from the other smoker, oh man i can go on and on, save your self alot of pain and just get the bradley. you dont need to get the stainless model its to much of a pain to keep clean. [:D]

simmy

John,

I agree totally with SHR. I have an electric Brinkman that I bought this past summer thinking I could do with it. I made some pretty good smoked food with it. Then I went and spent the money on the Black BS. What a difference it makes. Better flavor. Better outcome and happier eaters [:)] Plus it is very easy to use. Definately worth the money. Check out the ribs that I made with mine just today...

Steve

johnintx1

have you had any trouble with the paint pelling off the black one ? i have read several stories about that paint problem?
I must put mine outside on the patio (with a cover) all year long ,i have no other place to keep it.
for 70.00 more i can get the stainless,but i want the one that is best for the money and  easy to keep clean/clean up.
so.... the black ...or the SS??
399.45 for the SS..VS... 329.05 for the black ,both come with 60 bisq.,cover, and video to my door. but which one is really the best in the long run?
I have spent several days,(all day)reading most all the forums!!
thanks to all and everyone for your ideas!!

nsxbill

I have had a Brinkman Water smoker for 15 years +/-.  It worked great, but very little control.  I have a Cameron Stove Stop, a Weber Genesis with a smoker box.  I use the Bradley SS with no regrets that the others just sit.  The Brinkman is sitting at back of property, the Weber has been converted to gas coffee roaster.  The Cameron is great for small batches of fish.  The Bradley is the best.  Is the end for me...no!  I am going to buy a Caldera knock-down unit to smoke monster batches of jerkey, but when traveling will be traveling with the BS too.  It is just so easy to use.  And the results can't be beat.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jaeger

johnintx1

You do the same thing I do when I buy something that I intend to use alot and have around for a while. I do my home work, which you have done. I have seen the smoker that you are talking about and it does look like a nice smoker.
  Two main differences.
1) The bradley will cook at a much lower temp when needed.

2) You can control the smoke with the bradley LIKE NO OTHER!!!
Excellent smoke, NO babysitting. Trust me, this thing will smoke!!!

The people that have had trouble with the smoke generator have had Great customer service with the warranty. <u>Very quick resolutions.</u>

Bite the bullet and buy a Bradley!!!

Doug

simmy

Well put Doug!!

John,

I have not had the paint problem like we both have seen in this forum. My BS is only 2 weeks old. Mine will also be on the patio year round with the cover of coarse. I do have a storage area but the way i have been using my BS it would be too much work moving it in and out. Not only is the BS easy to use. All of the trays and the bowl and drip tray are easily cleaned in the dishwasher.

Steve

johnintx1

Yes i really do study everything before i decide to do most anything. but when i make up my mind ,i go for it and usually never look back, after carefull study of most things.
If you guys had to do it over again, and get a new Bradly....
how many people would get the black?
and how many will vote on the Stainless,interesting to know.
i will check Sunday to see what the results are on this vote

jaeger

My vote is for the black, which I bought.

The stainless would be easier to clean inside the cabinet but, I do not plan on keeping it spit shined anyway. Mine is black outside and black inside. When the black starts to flake inside the cabinet it is time to clean. If the black paint starts to flake on the outside of the cabinet, after the warranty, then I will deal with that with cleaning/degreasing and painting with grill paint. Save the extra bucks.

Doug

nsxbill

Mine sits outside under a large covered patio on a stainless cart.  A little spray with cleaner and the SS looks great.  SS won't bubble up.  I don't clean the inside of the smoker other than food crud.  It is dark brown, seasoned, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  The shelves and V panel fit it the dishwasher.  I just knock off the big stuff and run them through.  The door seal shold be wiped down after every smoke, and I also clean the vent - It gets gummy.

Low maintenance...Matches my big stainless Grill.  SS was the only choice for me.

Bill