Cracks in the Plastic?

Started by stevomon, August 29, 2009, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevomon

I got my BTIS1 Bradley Smoker last month as a birthday present.  When it arrived I looked it over carefully as I had heard some units were arriving damaged.  Sure enough the lower face plate was cracked at the top left screw but everything else seemed fine.  The Bradley service guy shipped me a new one ASAP but while I was waiting I smoked some ribs and while cleaning up noticed that cracks had formed at all three screw mounts on the top of the face plate.  I assumed they were caused over tightened screws or shipping so when the new one arrived I installed it very carefully.  Next I smoked a Brisket for 9+ hours.  Again when cleaning up afterwards I see a crack on the  new part in the same place!  AND, when I removed it to try and figure out what might be causing the cracking I discovered a new crack on the plastic bottom part of the door!  Bradley service and support is trying to make things right by sending me new parts but I'm starting to worry that simply swapping out parts won't fix my problem  Has anyone else had similar issues, is it possible I'm doing something wrong?   I would appreciate hearing about anyone experiencing similar problems and what you did to fix it.   

mikecorn.1

Sorry to hear about all the problems you are having. I dont have that model and nothing like that has happend to  mine after cooking even for long periods of time. Someone will surely come along and answer your question. Good Luck.
Mike

Wildcat

I assume BTIS1 is the original. If so, check out this link: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=769&postcount=12

Also click on the link at the bottom of my post for the rest of the receipe site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

stevomon

Thank you very much Wildcat.  I have some experience with Product Design and after taking a close look at it I also concluded the face plate issue was a weak point of the foot design, too much weight gets distributed to the top of the face plate and the screws and the steel strip under the face plates isn't supporting any of the upward pressure except through the screws.  So I think the right answer is in the link you provided me recommending getting the weight off the front feet!  Reinforcing the original design would likely help enough.

So that was a great help to solve my face plate issue but the second issue of the cracks on the bottom plastic part of the door are still a concern as I think this may another design issue.  The metal front captures both ends of the bottom plastic part so the any flex/deformation on the door from shipping or heat or over filling the door foam insulation in the door puts a lateral pressure across the plastic and I suspect the heat may finish it off.  Mine stress cracked at every screw hole and breaking the part in half at one point!

I will be checking out those recipes of yours and thanks again!

BigJohnT

The bottom of the door is cracked in two places all the way across on my SS Bradley. They would have to replace the whole door they said... so I told them never mind.

John

Wildcat

Can't help much with the second problem. It has not been a problem for me. I will state though that based on testimony of other forum members the customer service at Bradley is second to none. I recommend you give them a call. My lower face plate has had a crack since about a week after I got it a few years back. I store it indoors and elevate the front slightly when I smoke therefore I have never had any problems with it other than cosmetic so I never bothered to contact Bradley about it.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

babybacks

I've had my Bradley 4 rack stainless since Christmas of 2006. The plastic face plate has been cracked for about 2 1/2 years. I considered it a cosmetic problem, so I haven't bothered fixing it (and the smoker has worked fine). After doing some research though, it appears the plastic face plate keeps moisture from entering the heat element switch control board.

My heating element stopped working over the weekend (it won't turn on), I'm not sure what the problem is, but my suspicion is that it is the switch. Perhaps some moisture got into the switch control board through the crack and fried it? I plan to take it apart tonight to diagnose the problem.

stevomon, I'm curious about the replacement parts, are they any better than the originals? I'm considering buying a new face plate, but I would hate to have it break on me shortly after installation.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: babybacks on November 17, 2009, 02:04:13 PM
I've had my Bradley 4 rack stainless since Christmas of 2006. The plastic face plate has been cracked for about 2 1/2 years. I considered it a cosmetic problem, so I haven't bothered fixing it (and the smoker has worked fine). After doing some research though, it appears the plastic face plate keeps moisture from entering the heat element switch control board.

My heating element stopped working over the weekend (it won't turn on), I'm not sure what the problem is, but my suspicion is that it is the switch. Perhaps some moisture got into the switch control board through the crack and fried it? I plan to take it apart tonight to diagnose the problem.

stevomon, I'm curious about the replacement parts, are they any better than the originals? I'm considering buying a new face plate, but I would hate to have it break on me shortly after installation.

The replacement parts are the same as the original part. If your circuit board if fried, you will need to purchase the heat control switch also. Many of us have modified our smokers by adding additional feet in the front of the cabinet; that seems to eliminate the cracking. Wildcat has posted a link to that mod. Also do you have the metal or glass heating tube. If it is the glass type, it may have burnt out and only need replacing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

babybacks

QuoteThe replacement parts are the same as the original part. If your circuit board if fried, you will need to purchase the heat control switch also. Many of us have modified our smokers by adding additional feet in the front of the cabinet; that seems to eliminate the cracking. Wildcat has posted a link to that mod. Also do you have the metal or glass heating tube. If it is the glass type, it may have burnt out and only need replacing.

Thanks Habanero. I did order a new face plate with a couple of extra feet for the mod you described. The new face plate with the control switch did the trick so I'm back in business.

Unfortunately the extra feet are on back order. In fact I think that portion of my order may have been cancelled without notification, as I have seen a credit of $2 (the same prices as 2 extra feet) on my credit card. I've contacted Bradley 3 times asking about the credit, and haven't heard a solid response yet. I guess it is time to follow up with them once again...  >:(

For now, I have the smoker sitting on some 2x4's to get the weight off the front feet. Hopefully this will help keep the new faceplate from cracking until I get the extra feet.

Habanero Smoker

If you live in the States you can order Bradley replacement parts from Bradley Replacement Parts. Also look around the site, order of $50 or more qualify for free shipping, I believe that offer ends at the end of the month.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

I have had mine for 8 months now and I don't have any cracks. I move mine in and out of the house everytime I use it and I do loads of 30 lbs of salmon often. It is strange, but when I get a chance I will add the extra feet so as not to end up with this problem.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

babybacks

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 24, 2009, 01:35:54 PM
If you live in the States you can order Bradley replacement parts from Bradley Replacement Parts. Also look around the site, order of $50 or more qualify for free shipping, I believe that offer ends at the end of the month.

If I was to do it all over again, I would have ordered from www.yardandpool.com, as you suggested. It was less expensive to order directly through Bradley, so I went that route, but I strongly regret that decision, as it has been nothing but a hassle (to say the least) dealing with Bradley customer support. Next time I'll gladly pay the extra money.

Quarlow

Thats strange cause everyone else has nothing but good to say about Bradley customer service, Myself included. I wish more companys would give service like theirs. I had a problem when I got mine and as I am only 10 mins from them they said bring it over and we'll take a look. In and  out in 5 mins with a brand new one no questions asked.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

babybacks

I agree, most people rave about the excellent customer service Bradley provides. So, it seems my experience has been the exception, not the rule.

It has been over a month since my initial order and I'm still waiting for 2 items to arrive. Hopefully they will get their act together soon, or at least provide some communication on the status of the order.