Hi from BC Canada

Started by BC Smokin', August 29, 2009, 03:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Smokin'

Hi all, I am new to this forum, and I am thinking about purchasing a smoker. I have done some smoking on my Broil King BBQ, but would like to invest in a real smoker. I saw the Bradley in a local store and was very impressed. However, I have since learned that you cannot get a smoke ring on a Bradley, is this true? Why not? Which is better, the digital or non-digital? How much meat can a 4 rack hold? Any info would be great.
Thanks all,
BC Smokin'
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokehouse!

You cannot get a smoke ring on any electric smoker. A smoke ring is a chemical reaction from the burning(not smoldering) of wood or other fossil fuel and the meat. It does not alter the flavor of the meat, just the color.

I have the original (non digital) Smoker. It love it.

I can get about 30 pounds (13.6 Kilograms) of pork shoulder in my smoker.

IF you click on the ribs at the bottom of my post it will take you to our recipe and FAQ site.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Nope - no smoke ring.  Without getting real technical, it's because the Bradley does not have true combustion and because of that lacks nitrogen dioxide that reacts with the meat's myoglobin.  Could probably get it if wanted in various ways, and some are in the process of trying with burning charcoal briquettes separately.  Should also get it by coating the meat in Morton's Tenderquick (contains sodium nitrite I believe) for awhile, instructions are on various sites on the internet.  But my question is why bother?  The ring is sort of a cured area, and that is what the sodium nitrite does, cure the outer 1/4" or so.  It does nothing for the taste?  Even the KC barbecue judges are now taught not to judge on the smoke ring.  You loose nothing in taste not having a smoke ring!  The smoke ring was once the judge of whether or not you have low and slow (true) barbecue.  It has now known, that you don't need combustion to have great low and slow barbecue.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Hopefull Romantic

HI there smokehouse and welcome to the forum.

The smoke ring is a part of a "chemical reaction / Infusion" that occurs when charcoal is present. It is not that you can not produce the smoke ring as there are ways to circumvent that. In time you would learn how it is done.

As with regard to buying OBS or BDS (original or digital) there are two schools of thought as far as that is concerned. I have the 6 racks digital and I love it. Some one should be coming around soon to tell you same about the original Bradley. Most of the original Bradley owners would recommend the purchase of a PID which is a devise that more accurately controls temperature in the smoke tower and according to many, it would be more required in the OBS rather than the digital and more for fish and sausages where you would need to ramp your temperature during a smoking ( start at 120 for 2 hours, increase to140 for one and so forth). The PID could be programed to that for you and give you more time to go about doing your things. I did buy the PID since I do alot of fish and it just gave me a peace of mind.

I have not been here long and I am sure there will be more experienced smokers soon to assist in guiding you on the right track.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. looks like they got you covered.
Mike

FLBentRider

FWIW - the Bradley Propane Smoker will give you a smoke ring, or so I'm told.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

mikeradio

Welcome Smokehouse

What part of BC are you from?  I am in Prince George.

Mike

deb415611

BC Smokin'

Mike, we are in Midway, about two hours south of Kelowna, on the US/Canada border. We have a son in PG. We were just up there visiting him and the grandkids, took them camping at Hixon and Bear Lake.
BC Smokin'

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Smokehouse!
Carolyn

RossP

Welcome Smokehouse, Bradley is a great product and they are from BC.  I am from just down the road from them in the LML. You live in a great part of BC. Some good fishin up your way, not to mention the hunting in your area.
Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

OU812

Welcome to the fun

The smoke ring is over rated and has nothing to do with the flavor

I have the DBS 6 and it does every thing i need it to do, even in the winter just keep it out of the wind.

BC Smokin'

Ross, Glad to hear Bradleys are made here in BC, BC makes some fine products, like my Broil King BBQ, I love it and made some mean chicken wings on it last night. Our company said they were amazing. Yes, we live in hunting and fishing country, but we only hunt and fish with a camera, that won't put much in the Bradley. Maybe we can make a deal with some hunting friends, you know, they hunt or fish and I will smoke it for them, for say half. LOL We do love camping and do it often in the summer.

BC Smokin'

mikeradio

Hello Smokehouse

I have been to Midway a couple of times, what a small world.
We have been have some great weather for camping this year.
The only down side is the camp fire bans, its just not camping
if you dont smell smoke :)

Cheers

Mike