• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Using Bradley Apple pucks in my grill

Started by BC Smokin', September 02, 2009, 07:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC Smokin'

Not sure where I should post this, but I see that Bradley has a page about smoking on your grill. I have a Broil King grill and just bought some Bradley apple pucks to use on it.

I have some sideribs that I want to smoke today. Last time I made these I boiled the ribs first to tenderize them, do I still need to do this?

Anyway, has anyone done this method of smoking? Any advice would be great. Thanks all,
BC Smokin'
You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the girl

KyNola

Smokehouse,
I have never used pucks on a grill but for God's sake, PLEASE don't boil those ribs first.  You are simply boiling all of the natural flavor of the ribs right out of them.. Go the recipe site and look under competition ribs.  There you will find in the very first paragraph Iceman's explanation as to why you never ever boil ribs first!

Link to the site www.susanminor.org

KyNola

squirtthecat

I've used a couple pucks on my gasser, just to see how it would do.   Worked pretty good (lots of 'smoke'), but they flash into flame quickly, so you want to keep them a bit away from the actual burners. 

And now, of course, you have a pile of ashes around your burner to deal with.   My Weber has a tray that slides out for easy cleaning, so it wasn't that big of a deal in my case.

Tenpoint5

WHOOOOOAAAA Stop the PRESSES.
NEVER I repeat NEVER boil your ribs. You boil out ALL of the fat and Fat = Flavor. What you want to do is remove the membrane on the underside of the ribs. This will take care of the majority of the toughness with ribs.

Now onto the other part of your question. Yes I have smoked ribs on my grill's both the Gas and the Charcoal. I use the same method that I use in my smoker. If your using a gas grill have a newer tank of gas it is gonna be on for a while. Also put your puck on a piece of foil so the flames dont start it on fire. Here is the link to how I make Ribs. Use it as a guideline and adjust it to your liking. How to make Ribs
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Hopefull Romantic

I have to agree with Ky regarding boiling the ribs.

I did use the Bradley pucks on my "other" smoker. Whilewaiting for my Bradley to arrive, I had purchased some special Blend pucks off eBay for only $1.99 for 48 package. So, one afternoon I decided to go ahead and use some for smoking chiken. Never put the pucks on the charcoal or direct flame (otherwise they will last about a minute each). Place the pucks on a rack about 5 - 10 inches from the heat source and wait for hem to start smoking. At any rate, each would last between 7 and 10 minutes.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

mikecorn.1

Never tried pucks on the grill. As stated above, when you boil ribs, you are boiling the flavor out of them. Might as well make a pork or beef stock out of the water and throw the ribs away.  :'( 
Here is the direct link to the explanation from iceman.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=449
Mike

Mr Walleye

Smokehouse

I don't see why you can't loosely wrap the pucks in tin foil and poke some holes in the foil with a fork. This should stop them from reaching combustion. You may want to make up a number of them with a couple pucks in each one so you can change them out as the smoke diminishes.

I also agree... don't boil the ribs.

If it was me I would remove the membrane on the ribs and put your favorite rub on them. I would set up the grill for indirect heating. In other words, have the burners "off" on one side and "on", on the other side. I would try to maintain a temp at the grate level on the cool side of about 220 or 230 degrees. Place your foil wrapped pucks on the heated side. Place the ribs, bone side down, on the cold side of the grill and close the lid. I would continue to monitor the temp at grate level that the ribs are being exposed to. You may have to rotate the ribs around if you have any hot spots. I would continue this way for roughly 3 hours, give or take depending on your temps. Next I would wrap them in foil with a splash of apple juice and return them to the cool side of the grill while still maintaining the same temps at the grate level for another 1.5 to 2 hours. Finally I would open the foil up and sauce them, allowing them to stay in for another 20 to 30 minutes.

Your times will be greatly effected by the temps you are able to maintain so adjust accordingly. It may take a couple of tries before you get it dialed in.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

BC Smokin'

OK, no boiled ribs, but these are sideribs not baby backs, so they are tough.
BC Smokin'

pensrock

The ONLY time you boil ribs is if you want to make rib soup, that is where all the flavor ends up.
Wrap the puck in foil the poke some holes in it, then place it on the plate above the burner. It will smoke an not burn up quickly as if you placed it directly on the fire. You want it to smolder. Then you have no ash to deal with, simply throw the foil away, after it has cooled of course.  :)

FLBentRider

Quote from: BC Smokin' on September 02, 2009, 08:25:00 AM

My side ribs are not boiled, and not tough.

Just get rid of that membrane, and cook them long enough.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

pensrock

Quote from: BC Smokin' on September 02, 2009, 08:25:00 AM

Low & slow, is how to cook them. It takes hours to make really good ribs. I would rather you put them in a 220 degree oven for a few hours then finish them up on the grill other than boiling all the flavor away.

KyNola

B.C.,
If you will follow Mr. Walleye's suggestions to the letter including the temp settings and the time, you will have the best ribs that have ever come off of your grill.  Guaranteed.

KyNola

BC Smokin'

Mike, thanks for this info. I have made up the dry rub from the recipes and have applied it to the ribs. I will let this set for a while before I start cooking. Yes, I also took off the membrane. Am very excited about not boiling, but still having tender ribs, great news. Thanks again.
BTW, I changed my user name.
BC Smokin'

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

BC Smokin'

I am going to try and post pics, things are doing pretty well, but the temp keeps climbing!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2019646&id=1466563484&l=abf0f600d4

Here is a link to my photos so far. Hope this works.
BC Smokin'