New Smoker will arrive Friday....

Started by Smoke-Eater, September 02, 2009, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoke-Eater

Hello All,

I will have a new original smoker on Friday.  I wanted to introduce myself and find out any particulars that i need to be aware of before I begin smoking. 
I have read some posts and I have seen that I need to season the smoker before I use it.  I take it I do this before I put any food in the smoker?  Is there a flavor that I should use?  How long do I run this break-in (seasoning) process.
I have also read that I need to make sure that the vent is kept open halfway.  I do plan on doing this unless I recieve some posts letting me know not to do this.
Are there any other ideas out there that would help someone who has never smoked with a smoker?
I am looking forward to begin smoking soon, maybe this weekend if all works out and I have no problems with the delivery.
I also have purchased four types of bisquettes from wal-mart.  (Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Special Blend).  I hope I am headed in the right direction and looking for any feedback that may make life easier during my first attempts.

Thank you in advance for any responses, I see the forum is very active and it's great to become a new member of the Bradley Smoking Family.

mikeradio

Welcome Smoke_Eater

Yes always keep the vent 1/2 to 3/4 open or the smoke and moisture can back up inside and cause some problems with the electronics.

Lots of good information here and great people.

Cheers

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Smoke-Eater. Glad that you joined us.
You do need to season the smoker before putting any food in it. That will burn out any oils that may be inside. If I remember, it takes about an hour at 150 deg. The directions will come with your smoker. Use any wood of your choice to do the seasoning, even mix and match if you like. And you are correct about keeping the vent at least 1/2 open, some times even more like when smoking poultry with has a lot of moisture. Make sure to watch that smoke doesn't backup up by the generator, if so the vent is closed to far. I would suggest getting some Bubba pucks and a remote thermometer such as a Maverick ET-73. Much more accurate than the one on the door. 

So what are your plans for the first smoke? Oh, and check out the recipe site, a lot of great info there. http://www.susanminor.org/forums/
HawkeyeSmokes

aces-n-eights

Welcome Smoke-eater!  Mike and Hawkeye have you going in the right direction.  Take a look at the recipe site that Hawkeye referenced; there are a ton of great recipes to try out.

Remember the Bradley is basically an oven that adds smoke to food.  The temp and smoke are controlled independently.  Typically guys will run smoke for 2.5 - 3 hours with heat and then continue to cook with just heat until the meat is done - low and slow.  Some cuts will be done fairly fast, but thick cuts such as a pork shoulder or brisket may need 8-12 hours total time to be right.

Be patient, ask us any questions you have and enjoy!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

mikecorn.1

Welcome SE. When doing yard birds I keep that bad boy fully open. Get 3 bubba pucks, maverick et-73 and if ya can, some high temp jerky screens. You can go to www.yardandpool.com to get all these items. Ask lots of questions. Post lots of pics. Check out the links on the bottom of my post for FAQ's and the recipe site. Happy smoking.  ;)
Mike

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Smoke-Eater!

My Friends have you pointed in the right direction.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum Smoke Eater,

you are already in good hands and I second the need to purchase the Maverick E73 and the Bubba pucks. The first shall save you time and effort and the latter will save you money on Bradley pucks on the long run.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

muzzletim

Welcome!!! Ypu are instore for a lifetime of good food and a interesting hobby!! Enjoy!!!
Tim

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul

Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

The others have giving you some good pointers and you are heading in the right direction

Watch out this smoking stuff is addictive

muzzletim

Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy as much as the rest of us!
Tim

Caribou

Welcome to the forum Smoke-eater!
You came to the right place.
I never smoke any food before until I got my Bradley
and I never smoked anything worth eating until I joined this forum :D
Carolyn

classicrockgriller

Welcome, great people here to help you along.

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum Smoke-Eater.  You received some good advice up front.  There is a lot of good info here
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748 to get you going.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!