Knock Knock Who's there?

Started by Bucky, September 04, 2009, 12:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucky

UPS dropping off my BDS 6 shelf.  I just got the box and I'm going to assemble today.  I've been reading the forum over the past week.  I now feel confident that I'll be able to feed my Labor Day crowd of 8 this Sunday.  In the fridge right now is a 7.22 lb "Prather Ranch" butt (free range meat and well worth the extra price)  plus 4 full racks of ribs.  Planning on smoking both with Hickory.  Would love any advice on start times to deliver a hot meal around 5:00pm on Sunday.    Plan on doing the smoke 4 hours / boat for the balance of time.  I'd like to FTC for about 3 hours.

Many thanks and I'll upload pre/post pixs
"If you drink - don't drive.... Don't even putt"
Dean Martin 1917-1995

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Bucky!

That is quite a load!  You did not specify if the ribs are baby back or spare.

You can get 1 rack of baby backs on a Bradley rack, if they are St Louis, you will have to cut the racks to get them to fit.

I would start Saturday evening with the butt, apply 4 hours of smoke and then foil wrap if you like and cook to an internal IT of 190-200F

The ribs take about 3-5 hours depending on the baby back / st louis question.

I don't FTC ribs, I always FTC butts.

I know that has you applying smoke twice, but the butt takes so much longer than the ribs, it just isn't practical to start them at the same time.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Bucky

Yeah, sorry I didn't explain this properly.  I don't have any intention of loading up the BDS for all of this.  I'd like to smoke the butt and finish it up in the house oven.  (boated)  I'd like to do the ribs the day of the party (this sunday)  They are baby backs and from what I understand it's 3 hours of smoke and 1 hour of foil with AJ and a final hour of sauce without foil to glaze.  I thought while the ribs are being cooked in the BDS the day of the party, I could through in some ABT to round out the party. 
Dean Martin 1917-1995

mikecorn.1

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Congrats and welcome to the fourum. Member, cook to IT and not time.
Mike

Bucky

Thanks and you guys are the best.  While I think that I have a plan, I'm sure it's like going to war....  all the plans go out the window once the action starts.  HA!  My main question is when I should start this 7+ lb butt???  I know there is a wide range but just trying to dial in a time frame.  It is bone-in.  So, I guess that adds to the time. 
Dean Martin 1917-1995

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Bucky on September 04, 2009, 02:02:41 PM
Thanks and you guys are the best.  While I think that I have a plan, I'm sure it's like going to war....  all the plans go out the window once the action starts.  HA!  My main question is when I should start this 7+ lb butt???  I know there is a wide range but just trying to dial in a time frame.  It is bone-in.  So, I guess that adds to the time. 

I did an 8.5lb, started @5 pm with 4 hours of smoke. then went straight to the oven (boated) at @ 200-225 (was jumping around some using maverick et-73). that bad boy was in there all night and didnt reach 190* till 11 a.m. the next day. It was a bone in butt.  ;D   You know what i mean.  ;D   Sure others will come along with more info. Good luck buddy.
Mike

Wildcat

Depends on the meat and cabinet temp that you cook at, but it has been my experience that most butts in the 7 to 8 lb range will take 16 to 24 hours to cook.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER

classicrockgriller

geez, that is alot for your 1st smoke?
hope it goes good, and welcome to the party

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome aboard Bucky to the greatest fun on earth.

That is an ambitious project for your first smoke. Make sure you post results and possible pictures.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

KyNola

Bucky,
Welcome aboard my friend.  My learned colleagues have given you great advice.  If you want to serve at 5:00PM on Sunday, I would start your butt at 5:00PM on Saturday.  If it finishes early you can FTC for 5-6 hours.  If you are pressing the deadline and it's still not exactly the finish temp you want, you can bump the heat up because at that late time you're not going to "hurt" the cooking process.

Have fun!
KyNola

Bucky

Wow.  You guys now have me nervous.  I hope I didn't get in over my head.  Looks like I'll take KyNola's advice and start later this afternoon.  I rubbed the butt last night and wrapped it.  I do have a final question though.  Do I put in the meat and let the smoker come up to temp before I start rolling the smoke?
Dean Martin 1917-1995

squirtthecat

Quote from: Bucky on September 05, 2009, 08:52:58 AM
Wow.  You guys now have me nervous.  I hope I didn't get in over my head.  Looks like I'll take KyNola's advice and start later this afternoon.  I rubbed the butt last night and wrapped it.  I do have a final question though.  Do I put in the meat and let the smoker come up to temp before I start rolling the smoke?

Put the meat on the Bradley rack and put on your sink (or cutting board) and let come to room temp for 40+ minutes while pre-heating the smoker.   Don't start the smoke itself until the smoker is hot - right at the same time you are loading the meat in.

Letting the meat warm up in advance makes for easier temperature recovery.

KyNola

Bucky,
Run the temp up in your Bradley to around 250-260 before putting in the meat.  Don't freak out when the heat in the cabinet drops like a rock and takes a while to recover.  A big piece of cold meat just sucks all the heat out of your smoker.  When the meat is in and the box temp comes back up to to the temp you want smoke at, start dropping the set temp to the temp you want to be operating at.

You will do fine don't sweat it.  Any questions, let us know.

KyNola 

Bucky

Well.  The butt has been for about 1.5 hours now.  I can't believe how much swing in temp there is with the bds.  If I set the controller to 230 degrees my probe (hanging 1 inch about the meat) reads anywhere from 212 to 220.  If I drop the controller down to 220 degrees the actual box temp drops all the way to 185 degrees.
Dean Martin 1917-1995