Cheese Time

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 05, 2009, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Thanks guys.  Yeah, I did crack the door for 5-10 minutes and it didn't seem to have much effect so I put in the ice.

I spoke with a friend today.  He's going to Nova Scotia for salmon next week and promised to bring me back one.  I'm getting excited.  :)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Lookin' good, Lewis!

Ice in the water bowl...  Did that work ok?  No smoldering biscuits?

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 17, 2009, 10:41:00 AM

Lookin' good, Lewis!
Lewis?  Who's Lewis?

Ice in the water bowl...  Did that work ok?  No smoldering biscuits?
It's hard to tell if the ice did any good; I've never smoked cheese before.  The pucks didn't seem to be smoldering.  Next time, I might try four frozen bricks for a half hour or so of 'negative' preheat before the SG goes on.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on September 17, 2009, 11:16:18 AM
Lewis?  Who's Lewis?

Sorry, movie misquote from 'Trading Places'..

manxman

QuoteI'm vaguely familiar with the Isle of Man.  Shoprite was one of our customers at my ex-company (back-end data processing).

Small world ArnieM, Shoprite is the local supermarket chain with only half a dozen branches here on the IOM. Doesn't operate anywhere else.

Nice cheese pics ......... looks really good.  :)
Manxman

pensrock

QuoteThanks guys.  Yeah, I did crack the door for 5-10 minutes and it didn't seem to have much effect so I put in the ice.

Once it gets pretty warm, it will take longer than 5-10 minutes for it to cool back down, don't forget, everything is too warm. Including the racks, bricks and the inside of the tower and door.
  I have even opened the door wide open and blew in with a fan for a few minutes to cool everything down some then closed it all but 1/2". Worked fine. No doubt, the best way to do cheese is using the cold smoke setup.

pens

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on September 17, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
No doubt, the best way to do cheese is using the cold smoke setup.
I agree pens.  Ya' see, I just had some cheese, some apple and it was going to be cool.  I'll likely work on the cardboard smoker box this weekend.
pens
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

It looks like your off to a great start on smoking cheese Arnie. Ya done good again.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

My cheese is safely wrapped up in the fridge.  I have one word of advice.  When adding a tray of ice, don't use your wife's white Corning ware casserole dish to hold the ice.  :( :(
-- Arnie

Quarlow

Ok ArnieM I'll bite, what happened to the wifes corningware.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ArnieM

That nice white dish turned about the same color as the cheese.  I had to scrub with Soft Scrub under close supervision to return it to its original color.  I think I'll pick up some cheap foil pans.  ;)
-- Arnie

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: ArnieM on September 19, 2009, 08:04:17 AM
That nice white dish turned about the same color as the cheese.  I had to scrub with Soft Scrub under close supervision to return it to its original color.  I think I'll pick up some cheap foil pans.  ;)

Hey Arnie,

I learned that lesson the very same way you did. ;D

HR

I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

squirtthecat

Cheap Foil Pans = GOOD.

Get twice as many as you think you'll need...  They always come in handy.

pensrock

QuoteThat nice white dish turned about the same color as the cheese.  I had to scrub with Soft Scrub under close supervision to return it to its original color.  I think I'll pick up some cheap foil pans.  Wink

Arnie, now you know what to get her for her birthday.  ;) ;D
Just kidding, see why I'm not married. LOL

ArnieM

Quote from: pensrock on September 19, 2009, 08:46:14 AM

Arnie, now you know what to get her for her birthday.  ;) ;D
Yeah - some cheap foil pans.  ;D ;D
Just kidding, see why I'm not married. LOL
-- Arnie