Cheese Time

Started by NePaSmoKer, September 05, 2009, 07:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Got some white cheddar, swiss and montery jack/jalapeno going now. Kinda cool so lets do it  ;D
Smoke generator on and a load of ice. 2 hours of apple smoke.

nepas

smokeitall

squirtthecat

I would like to try this soon as well...    One question, do you put water in the puck catcher pan?

Hopefull Romantic

Looking good Nepas. Never tried them with apple. Will do next time.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pensrock

Most of the cheese I do is with apple, some hickory and oak. I do about 100 pound plus each year for friends. Keeps me busy during the winter months.  :)

NePaSmoKer

Got the cheese done. Cooling now.

nepas

manxman

Quotedo you put water in the puck catcher pan?

Yes, water still goes in the bowl as normal to extinquish used pucks.  :)
Manxman

squirtthecat

Quote from: manxman on September 05, 2009, 08:59:14 AM

Ok, thanks.   I had my threads crossed...   I was thinking about smoking some salt, and I assume in that case, you want the smoker environs dry.

mikecorn.1

Looking forward to smoking some queso here in south texas, just too dam hot right now. Nice pics. Thanks
Mike

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 05, 2009, 07:07:27 AM

I would like to try this soon as well...    One question, do you put water in the puck catcher pan?

No i dont, the moisture gets the cheese slimey

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 05, 2009, 09:19:31 AM

nepas

Ahh, 2 schools of thought here.   Do you put anything in the pan, or just let the burnt biscuits smolder?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 05, 2009, 09:47:33 AM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 05, 2009, 09:19:31 AM

nepas

Ahh, 2 schools of thought here.   Do you put anything in the pan, or just let the burnt biscuits smolder?

What i do is go out and check about every 15 mins and depress the button to move the almost burnt puck off, then it site in the pan to finish smoking while the new one is going on the slide. Seams like allot of running back and forth but i dont get the burnt taste in the cheese.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 05, 2009, 09:01:50 AM
Quote from: manxman on September 05, 2009, 08:59:14 AM

Ok, thanks.   I had my threads crossed...   I was thinking about smoking some salt, and I assume in that case, you want the smoker environs dry.

When i do salt i go this way.

Dissolve 2 cups of salt in 4 cups of water. Place this solution in an old small cookie sheet. Pre heat your smoker to 250* with 2 hours of hickory. Place the filled cookie sheet on the rack and let all the liquid evaporate. Whats left is the dried smoked salt.

This can take several hours. My last smoked salt took almost 10 hours. I will get pics on my next one.

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on September 05, 2009, 09:58:46 AM
When i do salt i go this way.

Dissolve 2 cups of salt in 4 cups of water. Place this solution in an old small cookie sheet. Pre heat your smoker to 250* with 2 hours of hickory. Place the filled cookie sheet on the rack and let all the liquid evaporate. Whats left is the dried smoked salt.

This can take several hours. My last smoked salt took almost 10 hours. I will get pics on my next one.

nepas

Cool, thanks!   I read somewhere else (non-Bradley forum) about putting the salt (dry) on an old grease splatter guard, as it is a fine enough mesh to let the smoke pass through, while keeping the salt in place.
They applied 6 or 8 hours of smoke.   I think the guy used a UDS.

I'll try it both ways.    A couple guys at work have asked about it, as they buy it packaged at the store and it is rather pricey.

NePaSmoKer

Cheese is all vac sealed. Now how long can i wait  :D  ;D

nepas