the new kid on the smoking block

Started by sterlingpriceporker, September 06, 2009, 07:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sterlingpriceporker

hi all, i'm the new guy, i'm waiting for my smoker to arrive thanks to amazon.com it should be here by the 11th. what should i pick for my first smoke?  :o
truly great men know the power of napping. I'm a great man.

classicrockgriller

Hiya SPP, welcome to a great forum. It all depends on you. Do something you have done elsewhere before
and you will be happy with results. Use your time wisely while you are waiting and read post, recipes, etc
and you will feel at home on your first smoke. G/L and there are some great people on this forum.

sterlingpriceporker

i'm new to the smoking world, i'm got a webber gas grill with a smoke box, i've done ribs but i have always felt like the smoke favor was less than i wanted. So i'm looking for some help from the people who have smoked a lot.....what is the best place to start, what cut of meat.

smokeitall

Welcome Aboard.  I would suggest chicken or maybe pulled pork.  Pulled Pork is easy but takes up to 24 hrs, but the rewards are awesome.  I started 14 lbs on Saturday at 12 and they finished up today at 12.  Oh and its half gone, it was very good.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there SSP amd welcome to the Bradley family.

I would also suggest that you start with chicken. It takes anywhere from 2- 3 hours and it is simple. Check the recipesat this link:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=180

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

classicrockgriller

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum

I would go with the pulled pork, very forgiving for your first smoke.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard!!! I would suggest the Pulled Pork as well.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum. My first smoke was pulled pork. You realy cant mess it up. LOW and SLOW.
Mike

sterlingpriceporker

thanks for all the great input..... pulled pork it is.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum sterlingpriceporker!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

A bit late but the pork butt is a good choice. Real easy and forgiving, just takes some time.
Welcome to the forum!
HawkeyeSmokes