• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pork butt

Started by Quarlow, September 09, 2009, 09:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

I just bought a pork butt and was all jazzed up to smoke it this weekend. Then I started reading on here about pork butts, when the mention of bones came up. I said wait a minute, there is no bones in my butt, yuk yuk. So I go take a look at my butt,(no mirror required) and it turns out I need glasses, as I ended up with a leg of pork roast butt portion. So now I thinking it's all out the window and all I can do is ask you guys what the heck did I get myself into and can I still end up with pulled pork bunwich's. Or am I off on some weird adventure that nobody has a clue as to what I can do with 6 1/2lbs of pork I'm going to have to hire some french chef to cook it for me.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there Quarlow,

I cant help you there but soon some one with more experience will be reading your post soon and will offer help. Don't dispare, I am sure some one will come up with a great way to smoke that.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Habanero Smoker

When you see "leg" mentioned when buying a piece of meat it is from the hind quarter of the animal. What you purchased is really a boneless fresh ham cut for the upper part of the leg. That cut does not make for good pulled pork. You would be better off smoking it as a fresh ham roast, and slicing it. For seasoning just season it with your favorite pork seasoning, such as the same seasoning you would put on a loin. For ham cuts I generally bring them up to 152°F, loins I only go to 140°F -  145°F.

By the way, if you see a reference to arm or shoulder that cut is from the front leg of the animal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Habs I would like to thank you for the explanation.

I just purchased what seems to be a whole side of pork including the from the upper part of the front leg (actually 2 of those) and it seems that I am over my head on this one. I placed in the freezer here in Syria to be shipped to me back in Jordan next week. It is very hard to find pork in Jordan especially now that swine flu got every one scared.

I was wondering if, when I receive them next week, I could take some photos and post them and get some instructions of how to cut those things apart and know which section is what.

HR

FLBentRider

Yes.

And I have some "meat maps" around here somewhere.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caribou

Hi HR,
Did a short search and found this page:
http://baygourmet.tripod.com/pig.html#5
Scroll past the part about picking out and slaughter your hog :D
And look at the part about primal cuts and making smaller cuts.
Google "butchering a hog", and you'll see a lot on the killing part but there are some sites that have the cutting up part.
I buy half a hog from a friend every year but have it processed so it comes to me all cut up and wrapped.
But I think now after being on this forum I have learned that probably next go around to have it cut into large pieces that are funner to smoke.
Carolyn

OU812

Quarlow

That would make some killer Ham

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Caribou on September 10, 2009, 05:29:23 AM
Hi HR,
Did a short search and found this page:
http://baygourmet.tripod.com/pig.html#5
Scroll past the part about picking out and slaughter your hog :D
And look at the part about primal cuts and making smaller cuts.
Google "butchering a hog", and you'll see a lot on the killing part but there are some sites that have the cutting up part.
I buy half a hog from a friend every year but have it processed so it comes to me all cut up and wrapped.
But I think now after being on this forum I have learned that probably next go around to have it cut into large pieces that are funner to smoke.
Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn,

I visited the link you sent me and have saved the site to do more reading later. It seems I have the whole side and according to the chart on the site you sent from the shoulders inclusing the front feet all the way to half the ham.

I have no idea what I am going to do with all that but no worries I will figure it out and I am stuck I will be calling on you and the rest of the group.

Thanks again

HR

FLBentRider

When in doubt:

Brine or cure

Rub

Smoke

Eat

repeat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: FLBentRider on September 10, 2009, 09:23:13 AM
When in doubt:

Brine or cure

Rub

Smoke

Eat

repeat.

I like the way you think FLBR.

HR

Quarlow

Ok you convinced me, Ham it is. But I was really looking forward to a pork butt. Oh well that just leaves something else to look forward to. I am also going too smoke some old cheddar and 4 lbs of almonds. Man those almonds are good. Any suggestions on the cheese.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Hopefull Romantic

You can just about smoke all types of cheese (except probably cottage and Philadelphia). I have smoked white and sharp cheddar, Edam and Gouda and Swiss.

It is a bit tricky when it comes to smoking cheese as you should keep the temp under 70 F. It would help a great deal if you had a smoke box and filling a big ball with ice and place it in the smoker. Most members would tell you to start with 1.5 - 2 hours max and then adjust the time of smoke according to your taste. Apple Adler are great for that but some would go with hickory and Westexasmoker might even recommend mesquite.

The down side of smoking cheese is that you will have to wrap the cheese in plastic after smoking and keep it in the fridge for a couple of days to allow the smoke to permeate in the cheese. Oh an in case you notice some sweat on the cheese during the smoke, don't panic and just wipe it off.

Enjoy

HR

Quarlow

Ok my block of cheese is 3" by 2 1/2" by 5 1/2" would you cut this down in size or just smoke it longer. Also if I put a bowl of ice in the bottom of the smoker would this help to keep the temp down.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

I generally cut my cheese to 1 1/2" thickness. You can leave it 5 1/2" long or cut that in half to increase the surface that is exposed to smoke.

The best way is to use the cold smoke setup, and make sure your heating element is unplugged.

Example of Cold Smoke Setup

Cold Smoking With the Digital

Bradley also sells a Cold Smoking Setup for around $100 (U.S.)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 11, 2009, 01:27:41 AM
I generally cut my cheese to 1 1/2" thickness. You can leave it 5 1/2" long or cut that in half to increase the surface that is exposed to smoke.
The best way is to use the cold smoke setup, and make sure your heating element is unplugged.
Example of Cold Smoke Setup
Cold Smoking With the Digital
Bradley also sells a Cold Smoking Setup for around $100 (U.S.)

I a with Habs on this one and the cold smoke setup from Bradley is great.

HR