• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Serving 24 hours after cooking. What are my options?

Started by tnbassman, September 11, 2009, 06:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnbassman

Tailgating at Tennessee vs UCLA game tomorrow and I was nominated for smoking the meat. 4
6 pound butts for pulled BBQ. Due to dinner engagemenrt tonight I had to smoke a day early. The butts will be done at noon today. What are my options for re heating and serving tomorrow? Im still a rookie and have always served same day so any help will be appreciated. Do I just wrap in foil when done, refrigerate, then crock pot tomorrow? Should I shred today or after reheating tomorrow? Any use in FTC when not serving same day?

FLBentRider

I would still FTC a couple of hours.

I would break the butts down but not shred until after it comes out of the crock pot.

That will keep it from drying out.

Assuming you will run the crock pot on a generator ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

tnbassman

No generator.
I guess I will break down butts, fridge overnight, then crock pot 2-3 hours in the morning pull and pan bbq before leaving for game. Topping off with home made Montgomery Inn style sauce. Will a water and apple juice mix in crock pot work?

Thanks for the help.

squirtthecat

If you save the pan/foil drippings, you can defat in the fridge, and mix the remains back in when you are pulling..   That will keep it nice and moist without dulling the flavor.

What is "Montgomery Inn style sauce", if you don't mind me asking??

KyNola

TBM,
I think you've got it!  Yes, put a splash of apple juice in the the crockpot to help retain moisture.  Set the temp setting to low.  When transporting, I would use the FTC method to keep it warm.  Cover the pan in foil.  Wrap in a couple of thick towels amd put in an empty cooler and keep the lid closed until ready to serve.

KyNola

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 11, 2009, 07:19:04 AM
If you save the pan/foil drippings, you can defat in the fridge, and mix the remains back in when you are pulling..   That will keep it nice and moist without dulling the flavor.

I know someone that does the exact same thing  ;D

tnbassman

"What is "Montgomery Inn style sauce", if you don't mind me asking??'

The Montgomery Inn is a BBQ joint in Cincinnatti. Their sauce is a ketchup base sauce. The receipe is closely guarded and supposedly only known to 2-3 people but you can do a search for in on the net and get what some people claim is the original recipe. I have made it many times and it is AWESOME.

Or you can just go to Krogers and buy bottled Montgomery Inn sauce.

Just found out that we will have power at tailgate and will take crockpots to the game. I will post pics Sunday.

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 11, 2009, 10:02:36 AM

I know!  Great idea...     I even used the brisket juice on my pulled pork by accident.  Didn't matter, tasted great!

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 11, 2009, 10:56:31 AM

I know!  Great idea...     I even used the brisket juice on my pulled pork by accident.  Didn't matter, tasted great!

If you still have some brisket and pork left you should try mixing both togeather with some BBQ sauce and making a samme out of it. THERE GRRREAT

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 11, 2009, 12:07:15 PM

If you still have some brisket and pork left you should try mixing both togeather with some BBQ sauce and making a samme out of it. THERE GRRREAT

Oh yeah, I'll try that for sure!   I've got a couple small bags of each left.  In fact, when they were vacpaked and frozen, I'm not really sure which is which now.   Some dummy forgot to mark the bags.   ???

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 11, 2009, 12:13:11 PM
Oh yeah, I'll try that for sure!   I've got a couple small bags of each left.  In fact, when they were vacpaked and frozen, I'm not really sure which is which now.   Some dummy forgot to mark the bags.   ???

Did someone have a couple to many cold ones when packing the bags?

squirtthecat

Quote from: OU812 on September 11, 2009, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: squirtthecat on September 11, 2009, 12:13:11 PM

Did someone have a couple to many cold ones when packing the bags?

:D

Habanero Smoker

I often make pulled pork ahead of time, and reheat in large quantities. I pull the pork as soon as it has rested; this also makes it easier to pull. I always add vaunted vinegar sauce at that time, and mix well. Pulling the pork this early, also gives the flavor of the bark time to blend throughout the meat. Since you will be reheating in a short period of time, place it in a disposable aluminum pan, cover with plastic wrap then aluminum foil.

When ready to reheat, preheat the oven to 350°F, remove plastic wrap and reseal tightly with foil. Heat for 30 - 35 minutes. Use a method similar to FTC to transport the pan of meat, but instead of wrapping the pan foil, and a towel you can wrap with several layers of newspaper (use cord to tie up the bundle), and place it in a cooler without ice. It will stay warm for a while this way. Before serving stir up the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

squirtthecat

Quote from: tnbassman on September 11, 2009, 10:19:57 AM
"What is "Montgomery Inn style sauce", if you don't mind me asking??'

The Montgomery Inn is a BBQ joint in Cincinnatti. Their sauce is a ketchup base sauce. The receipe is closely guarded and supposedly only known to 2-3 people but you can do a search for in on the net and get what some people claim is the original recipe. I have made it many times and it is AWESOME.

Or you can just go to Krogers and buy bottled Montgomery Inn sauce.

Sounds good, thanks!   Which recipe clone do you use?
Tarragon vinegar... Hmm.  Never heard of it.