uick question on brisket

Started by ArnieM, September 11, 2009, 11:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

I read of a 1.5 hour per pound guideline.  Is that per hunk-o-meat or for the total load?  I'll be using about a 9 pound whole brisket cut in half on 2 racks.

Thanks.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Caneyscud

per hunk of meat - not total load.  However, keep in mind that it might be closer to 2 hours per pound in a Bradley as the rule of thumb is based on an average of about 225 deg and with a big hunk or otherwise a big load, the cabinet temperature recovery can be relatively long.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ArnieM

Thanks for the reply Caneyscud.  I think I'm going to try something new this time.  I'm going to preheat the OBS and meanwhile preheat my oven to 425 F with a foil-lined brick.  Then, CAREFULLY put the brick into the OBS.  Maybe it'll help with the preheat as well as temp retention down the road.

Why don't we call it "Beef Brisquette"?
-- Arnie

OU812

Quote from: Caneyscud on September 11, 2009, 12:03:41 PM
per hunk of meat - not total load.  However, keep in mind that it might be closer to 2 hours per pound in a Bradley as the rule of thumb is based on an average of about 225 deg and with a big hunk or otherwise a big load, the cabinet temperature recovery can be relatively long.

And the time guide line is just a time to start checking the meat and getting the sides started. Always go by the internal temp never the time.

ArnieM

Thanks for the reply OU812.  I figured on keeping track of the IT.  Does 175 F sound about right?
-- Arnie

OU812

Might be a little tough at 175 F try 185 to 190 if you want to slice it and 200 to 210 if you want to pull it.

ArnieM

Thanks.  I'll go for the higher temp.  This was kinda 'spensive so I don't want to ruin it.  I'll probably do at least an hour, maybe more of FTC when I pull it
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

I've been going to about 200 for an IT and they have been very tender, close to falling apart. You can also try the fork test along with the internal temperature.
HawkeyeSmokes

JGW

I usually aim to maintain 205-225.  As mentioned, the 1.5 per pound is a general guide.  I usually start keeping an eye on the meat in the last few hours (the IT)...I check the smoking vessel heat more often. 

Keep in mind that the temp of the meat will continue to rise when you FTC it.  I usually like to pull it about 180ish (180-190) and then wrap it.  The brisket will generally rise a few degrees while FTC'd before it starts the decline.  I normally "rest" it for at least 30 minutes, but 1-2 hours is even better.

squirtthecat

Same here.  195-200, very tender and slice-able.   215+ (oops), shredded beef.   But still good!

kiyotei

Fork test is best.  I like to use a kabab scewer.  If it feels like your are poking a marshmellow then its ready.  Temp wise, don't go below 195, but is not always a certain that at 195 your brisket is tender.  Stab it.