Preheat/temp retention ideas (OBS)

Started by ArnieM, September 12, 2009, 05:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Hello all,

I think it worked out pretty well.  Maybe these ideas will help out other newbies.

This is my third smoke, brisket this time.  Last weekend's ribs took a lot longer than I figured on due to the heat loss while loading up the OBS.  So I had to get better "organized".

Preheated my indoor oven on slow cook/low - about 215 F.  Added the brisket, still wrapped in foil as well as my foil-wrapped brick (The brick is old news).  I didn't use the brick last time.

After about 1/2 hour, I took the shelves out of the OBS and turned it on to preheat.  I brought the shelves into the kitchen.  I waited until the OBS was up to about 260 F (it was 60 F outside).

I boiled my water for the water bowl, loaded the brisket onto the shelves (I used 2 shelves) got my brick and set everything next to the OBS.  I opened the OBS door, slid in the brick, poured in the boiling water and slid in the 2 shelves of meat - maybe 30 seconds worth.  The temp dropped way down as expected but recovered to 220 F in minutes.  I loaded up the OBS with 4 hours of Oak.

So far, so good.  I'll post my results Sunday or Monday along with some pics.

Happy smokin'!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Hopefull Romantic

Good ideas and if I may add something, I would have the bowl filled with boiling water ouside and just slip it in place. That should cut your down time by a god 5 seconds.

HR

PS: I would be interested what WTS would say about heating the foiled brisket in the oven first.
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

ArnieM

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on September 12, 2009, 06:17:34 AM
Good ideas and if I may add something, I would have the bowl filled with boiling water outside and just slip it in place. That should cut your down time by a god 5 seconds.
Thanks HR, good idea.  Probably even add the brick and water to the drip dray and bowl outside of the OBS and slip the whole thing back in.

HR

PS: I would be interested what WTS would say about heating the foiled brisket in the oven first.
Me too.  Basically, it's like bring the meat up to a warm room temp (it was 65 F in the kitchen this morning).  It doesn't get so hot that it can't be handled by hand.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

mikecorn.1

Mike

classicrockgriller

Sometimes you eat the bear....sometimes the bear eats you