• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Grinder and First batch of Italian Sausage

Started by mikeradio, September 14, 2009, 10:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikecorn.1

Good looking stuff, cant wait to see it when its smoked.  ;D
Mike

Caneyscud

Quote from: Mr Walleye on September 14, 2009, 09:20:40 PM

I have found that rather then cubing the meat, I cut it into strips. when feeding the strips into the grinder you don't have to push the meat down the throat of the grinder. The auger just pulls the strips in. It's also quicker cutting the meat up to start with.

Mike

Thanks for the tip Mike!  I'm about through with my 30# batch a few weeks ago.  Will need to make more soon, and although cutting up meat is sort or a zen thing (or maybe I'm just dreaming that I am cutting up former bosses!) for me - it's not something I want to do for longer than I need to
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

drano

Yep, nice grinder you've got there!

I got the 1/2 hp model about a year ago, and its great.  My last batch of breakfast sausage was 25 lb in about 8 minutes.  A nice improvement from the Kitchenaid grider I was using--which are a great way to work into sausage making at a minimal price.

I agree w/ Mike--cut the meat into strips and let it pull them into the auger.  Also, I mix the spice w/ the meat so the grinder does my mixing.  And I only grind once.  I got an extra plate from Weston that is between the 2 that came w/ my grinder.  It is fine enough for the sausages I make, and still keeps the grind rate high.  The finer the plate, the slower it will grind.

get smokin
drano