Syracuse Salt Potatoes

Started by DTJ, September 17, 2009, 05:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: squirtthecat on September 25, 2009, 04:48:37 AM

You brined them whole?  Then sliced before grilling?  Interesting..

You brine them whole. You don't want to cut them up first, or they will absorb too much salt. Do a search on brine potatoes, there are a few ways to do this. I accidentally came across it while looking for grilled potato recipes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Well Habs, I fixed these (syracuse potatoes) tonite with boneless chicken thighs wrapped around a slice of sweet onion, pepperjack cheese and jalapeno. Rolled up and wrapped with bacon. Steamed carrots and broccolli. My western style beans, garlic bread, bacon wrapped chicken drummies. I took the skin off the drummies and sprinkled them with Carribean "style" jerk seasoning before the bacon wrap. I smoked the chicken on the Bradley for two hours and finished on the Traeger.
Everything was excellent, but the potatoes were off the hook. The small ones I ate just whole, the medium one I cut in half with my fork and dapped in the butter/chives sauce. The big ones I kinda smashed with my fork and drizzled some of the sauce on it. They are forsure on my redo list and They are going to be a big hit at the deer camp this year. Thank you. thank you, thank you.    CRG

classicrockgriller

I did them with small red potatos (Golf ball size to finger tip size)

Habanero Smoker

These can get addicting. If you can find baby yukons, they are the best for making these. The rest of your menu sounds great also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ArnieM

These potatoes sound good.  I'm going have to give them a try.  I can occasionally find the baby Reds or YG's and they're usually pretty pricey.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Arnie, the price would be worth the adventure.   CRG

ArnieM

I hear ya CRG.  I'm agonna doit!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Wildcat

Finally got around to trying the Syracuse potatoes. I could kick myself in the arse for not doing so sooner. This was great Habs! We used red new potatoes.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

dbrown1

Doing these tonight with my Brisket, thanks for sharing Habs

classicrockgriller

I am going to do tonite the salt bring of the potatoes incorporated with the cilantro potato salad recipe. Looking for new and exciting things out of it.   CRG

dbrown1

OMG HAB these are amazing ... don't think I will eat another "baked potato" again ! Thanks for sharing this recipe

classicrockgriller

Yep Habs....another believer....they are good

RossP

I made five pound up tonight for the Canadian Thanksgiving, I ended up
making garlic mashed potatoes out of them. It was the first time I did
not add any milk or cream to the spuds. They whipped up great with
with just a little butter. Added three cloves of garlic. They were the hit
at dinner. Nine people and no potatoes left. I was told by the wife that
I was making the potatoes from now on ;) Thanks Habs

Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

Habanero Smoker

Your welcome; or should I be saying that to your wife. :)

I never gave any thought of making mashed potatoes out of them. I have to give that a try.

I
         don't
                   inhale.