Syracuse Salt Potatoes

Started by DTJ, September 17, 2009, 05:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTJ

Habs, I tried this and it was great!!!  It is amazing how something so simple can change the taste and texture of the potatoe.  I know you said in the receipe they would have a creamy taste and texture but I was surprise at how creamy they were.  Although I don't know what was better the fresh cooked potatoes or the leftovers that I fried up the next morning as homefries. 

Thanks for the great receipe

Daryl

Mr Walleye

DTJ

I gotta agree with you!  ;)

I've done these several times and they are spectacular.  :P

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Oh yeah!

Call Homeland security - those things are the BOMB!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

That is the only cooked potato that I love to eat cold; except for potato salad. How did they come out fried; do they have a tendency to fall apart? I keep planning to half cook them and then quarter and finish on the grill, but it seems I may be able to fully cook them, cut in half and then grill.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Wildcat

I just gotta get around to doing this.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

Where can I find the recipe of this. Couldnt find it. thanks
Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Has anyone ever done them like new potatoes and peas in a cream sauce?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 18, 2009, 10:07:24 PM
Has anyone ever done them like new potatoes and peas in a cream sauce?

I feel they are best as a stand alone side dish, but there is not reason why you couldn't. Just do not cut the potatoes until after they are fully cooked. Cook the peas and onions, and then add the cooked potatoes to reheat them. Make your cream sauce, and pour it over the vegetables.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

classicrockgriller

DTJ

Sorry just geeting around to answering you, Habs.  They held together well when fried, much better than trying to fry a left over baked potatoe.  But you probably could not go much smaller than quartering them. Do you think if you half cook them they would be as creamy??  I think they would be great on the grill.  I will have to try that and let you know.

Classic rocker the cream sauce sounds good but you might have to rinse them.  I know the recipe says not to so you can get the salt crust on them.  The potatoes alone are not too salty with the crust, but in a sauce the salt may come off and make the sauce very salty. Just my opionon I don't know what eveyone else might think. Let us know

Daryl

classicrockgriller

Daryl, am making these tomorrow. They sound great. I am sorta a tater head anyway.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Daryl;

They would not be as creamy, but since you are saying they will hold together when fully cooked I'll go that route.

On another note, since we are talking about potatoes; over Labor Day weekend I had brined a bunch of small Yukon gold (yellow) potatoes and sliced them into wedges, brush them with some garlic flavored oil and grilled them. I'm not sure if the brining improved the flavor, but they appeared to be more moist, and I couldn't grill them fast enough to keep up with the crowd.

It was an experiment that didn't take up too much time. That time I just used salt, but next time I will add garlic to the brine. I use a simple brine 1 cup of pickling salt to 1 gallon of water, and brine at room temperature 2 - 4 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

squirtthecat

You brined them whole?  Then sliced before grilling?  Interesting..

DTJ

Classic.. I am a tater head too, I like just about any receipe I can find.

Habs I will have to try brining them and grilling, I don't do it often but really like them on the grill.

Daryl