New Guy here

Started by dieseldude, September 18, 2009, 09:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieseldude

I have been doing some reading here and decided to chime in.
I picked up my OBS 2 weeks ago and since have smoked 2 pork loins, chicken legs, chicken wings and bone in split chicken breasts. It all turned out pretty good and my family seemed to enjoy it.
I have been experimenting with sauces and rubs, as of yet I have not found a go to of either, however I did make bourbon bbq sauce that might do the trick, we will try it out this weekend.

2 of my sons have birthdays this week so I will be smoking a beef brisket for our Sunday birthday celebration. I have done a bunch of reading on brisket smoking and hope I am ready for the challenge. I  picked up a 7 pound choice brisket that I will smoke Saturday as a trial, if it turns out good I will invite the neighbors for beer and brisket (if they bring the beer). Also there is an 8 pound prime brisket in the fridge for Sunday, hopefully the Saturday smoke will give me some insight on when to put the 8 pounder in the smoker for Sunday.

The wife does not like heavy smoke, therefore I plan to try 1.5 hours worth of Jim Beam smoke.
Thanks for listening, I really like my new Bradley smoker and am glad this forum is in place.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum dieseldude!

It sounds like you have a good plan.

Brisket is one of those cuts that requires patience....

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome aboard DD!
Sounds like you have done your homework.  Have fun and let us know how it all goes.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Welcome!

Where on earth did you find Prime brisket??

You'll have to share that bourbon BBQ sauce if it turns out well..    I've been looking for one that someone has actually tried and liked.

dieseldude

I found the prime at a meat shop up the road from me (at least they said it is prime) in Springboro Ohio, the shop has an excellent reputation with good reviews. From what I understand choice or prime is what to use, should stay away from select?

FLBentRider

I can get prime brisket from my butcher.

it is awesome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum DD!

Mmmmmmm Brisket!  Can't wait to hear how it turns out!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

squirtthecat

Dang, I need to find a reputable local butcher..

My buddy ordered me a box of prime steaks from a supplier in Chicago, and they were the best thing that ever came off of my grill.   No comparison to the 'grocery store' steaks.

OU812

Welcome to the fun of smoking

Sounds like you have ben doing your home work, remember the internal temp of a brisket will stall out at about 150 F and take quite a wile to clime up again. Be patient and dont raise your cabnet temp, some times it's taken up 4 hr be for the IT started to raise again.

If your wife dont like a strong smoke taste have you tried a lighter tasting wood like Apple or Alder? The Jim Beam is Oak and Oak is one of the stronger tasting woods.

I like Alder or Apple on chicken and fish, Hickory or Oak on bacon, brisket and sometimes on pork butt and Pecan on every thing else. I smoke all my snack sticks and sausages with Pecan. But thats just me.

dieseldude

I have not tried apple or alder, I will however.
When we purchased the unit we picked up pucks in hickory, mesquite and the Jim Beam oak pucks.
The first smoke was on a pork loin with hickory for 5 hours, I found out that 5 hours of hickory was too much (for our tastes any way).
The 2nd smoke was chicken (legs & wings), I ran 3 pucks of Jim Beam through it and it was in my opinion very good.
The 3rd smoke I used 5 hours of mesquite on pork loin and chicken breasts, again that was to much smoke for my wife and border line for me, my Father and Sons loved it however.
The flavor I am looking for is more of a mellow flavor rather than a bold one, having said that I will fire her up in the morning and give brisket #1 3 pucks of the Jim Beam and see what happens.
I may try some sandwiches with the left over, a little bourbon bbq sauce on the brisket topped with slaw on some big buns.
Thanks for the tip on the apple and alder, I may run and pick some up tomorrow once the smoker is dialed in.

OU812

The three typ's of wood you are smoking with are the strongest smoke flavor of the bunch.
Mesquite-very strong flavor
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not over powering
Pecan-milder version of hickory
Maple-mild
Cherry-mild and fruity
Apple-mild, fruity and slightly sweet
Alder-light with a hint of sweetness

mikecorn.1

Little late, missed this thread, welcome to the forum.
Mike

classicrockgriller

dd, welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are in the groove.

Hopefull Romantic

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you are set up for some serious smoke this weekend.

Don't forget to post some pictures and share that bourbon sauce.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

pkcdirect

Welcome , Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

Paul
Paul    

MES 40" w/1200 Watt Element & Window
Bradley BSS
A-MAZE-N-SMOKER