Free Sourdough Starter: 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough

Started by classicrockgriller, September 19, 2009, 11:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

My youngest sister knows I make bread and she send this to me. You send in a stamped envelope and
they will send you a starter that dates back to 1847 or maybe older. After you get it, go back to web
site and they have step by step instructions on have to start your starter and recipes.

Sourdough pancakes are to die for. Enjoy !

http://home.att.net/~carlsfriends/

It's a pretty nice story.

ExpatCanadian

I'm a big fan of sourdough anything....  just have to work out if it's worth the trouble of sending for some of their starter considering I can make my own a lot easier and quicker!

classicrockgriller

This starter came off the Oregon Trail and is 150 yrs old...just a piece of history......this is my 3rd starter.
this one, mine, and my great grandmothers.

sodak

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try.  Letter going out today!

classicrockgriller

Once you get your starter started (say that ten times) you can actually dry it out and save it for years only to be re-activated again later. I will probably do that with mine since I really have no need for three starters. Might not be a bad idea to "save" some of your starter if you really like it or it has a memory value to it.

iceman

Quote from: classicrockgriller on September 21, 2009, 12:32:51 PM
Once you get your starter started (say that ten times) you can actually dry it out and save it for years only to be re-activated again later. I will probably do that with mine since I really have no need for three starters. Might not be a bad idea to "save" some of your starter if you really like it or it has a memory value to it.

Sent a letter out today. Looking forward to getting a piece of history back in the kitchen.

classicrockgriller

Great Iceman!
Do the sourdough pancakes first. Smoked Sausage....Scrambled eggs w/ boudain and green onion tops. Side bowl of Salsa Verde.....

ArnieM

Wow CRG, that's interesting.  My envelope is going out this morning. 

There are too many coincidences here for me to ignore it.  Carl was born on September 4th, the same day of month I was born.  He graduated in 1947, the year I was born.

I don't have a law degree.  >:(  Oh well.

Thanks for the tip.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Arnie, you would be the guy that would love the experiment of making sourdough something.
Go for it ! It's almost free.

deb415611

CRG,

Do you have a good recipe for sourdough pancakes?  I gotta coax my starter out of the back of the fridg.  It's feeling neglected.

Deb

deb415611

CRG,

Hope you don't mind me putting  a recipe in the thread

Here is a great sourdough recipe that I found from one of the members of the King Arthur Baking Circle:

Sourdough English Muffins

Submitted by: chard
Category: Sourdough
Last Updated: 9/13/2004
Add to My Recipe Box

• 1/2 cup starter (or maybe 3/4 cup if your starter isn't very active)
• 1 cup milk
• 2 3/4 cups flour (divided use)
• 1 T. sugar
• 3/4 tsp. salt
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 5 T. approx. corn meal

• Combine starter, milk and 2 cups flour. Stir well, cover and set out 8 hours or overnight. To proceed, mix 1/2 cup flour, the sugar, salt and soda. Sprinkle over starter mix and stir in. Turn out this fairly stiff dough on remaining flour and knead 4 or 5 minutes until no longer sticky. Use more flour if needed. Roll out to 3/4 inch. Cut about 3 inch rounds. Sprinkle corn meal on baking sheet. Place muffins at least an inch apart on sheet and sprinkle with corn meal. Cover, let rise 45 minutes until dubled. Cook on grill or in skillet about 8 min. per side over med. heat (275) turn once.

• I use a biscuit cutter and get 1 dozen muffins. You might want to use a little less flour for a wetter dough. These muffins have great "griddle spring" and depending on temp of griddle may take a little longer then 8 min. per side.

Try letting the muffins rise in the bowl about 30 minutes before shaping.

HCT

Thanks Debs, I've had that starter for a couple of years now, I have to give it a try.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Your welcome Mike.  I haven't used it with that particular starter but I'll bet they will be awesome.  Nothing like fresh english muffins. 

ExpatCanadian

Ok...  y'all convinced me....  just got back from the post office sending my own request off.  Had to use the International Reply Coupon option @ £1.10 + £0.90 postage, so all told it's cost me around $3.25 USD.  Not bad for a small piece of history.... :)

Now...  hopefully a few more recipes will be posted.  The English Muffins sound great, and an appropriate start for me!

classicrockgriller

It took about two weeks for mine to come in.
Ill wait 3 weeks and then post my starter getting started,
Deb you do, Please