• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

repost for info

Started by Quarlow, September 20, 2009, 05:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

"I am reposting this to see if someone knows what happened."
So the cheese went in.

The smoker got smokey.

And I'm not sure if this worked out well.The temp stayed below 70f, so that was good,but I couldn't see any signs of the smoke on the cheese.

I saw pics of other peoples smoked cheese and you could see the lines from the racks and mine didn't do that.
The cheese definately smells smokey almost ashey. And I smoked 2hrs 40mins with apple. Also my pucks didn't burn completely.

They have always burnt up completely before, so I am thinking that cause it is not in the hot box like normal, they just won't burn right up. And this might be a good thing so that I don't get that acrid taste. Any input about the pucks or the cheese would be appreciated.

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Some cheeses don't take on a lot of color.

Did you pre-heat the smoke generator ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Yeah I let one whole puck burn up first.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

KyNola

Trust me, your cheese is smoked.  Wrap or vac seal and wait at least 10 days.. You will be very pleased.

KyNola

Quarlow

Is it normal for the pucks not to burn completely in a cold smoker.

OBS
BBQ

Up In Smoke

Quarlow,
i have had a few pucks do the same thing, in my case the puck burner had some build up on it.
with the puck burner cool i put a wet cloth on it for about 15 minutes then cleaned with a scotch brite pad
with lite pressure. it seemed to burn better afterwards.
making sure to still preheat before moving a puck on.
I am with KyNola, your cheese is smoked. time to vac and wait.

another thought, is it possible the pucks got a little damp?

also i noticed an extension cord, maybe try going straight to an outlet or with a heavier cord?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Quarlow

Ahh bingo, UP, you hit the nail on the head I did use a cord that I don't normally use and it is longer than it should be. I need to get it out away from the house cause the wind was blowing the smoke inside. Thanks Up in smoke.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

"also i noticed an extension cord, maybe try going straight to an outlet or with a heavier cord?"

Good eyes UP.

pensrock

Also I like to take some scotchbrite and clean the puck burner before each smoke. I have seen residue build up on the burner plate.

iceman

Yup. Ditch the extension cord or get a 12 ga. as short as possible. It really does make a difference on the temp of the burner plate. I tested them with various extension cords (I was really bored one winter day)  :D and the temps swung up to 35 degrees on the burner plate from one to the next depending on the cord.

classicrockgriller

Quarlow

Yeah as soon as I read that it was plains as the nose on my face. Thanks again.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

That just goes to show why it is important to post results, good or bad. Somebody here has done it, seen it and got the t-shirt to prove it, before us.
Some of them may have had the same problem 5 times before it was resolved. We (newbies) post a pic and we get help quick. I love this place.

Quarlow

For sure CRG, and post those pics also. If it wasn't for putting the pic of my cold smoker CRG might not have figured it out that quickly.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Thank: Up In Smoke, pens, and iceman....I just here learning