• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Collagen casing

Started by telman, September 22, 2009, 08:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

telman

Sorry, I have disappeared on you guys. I managed to get some time and make                                                                                   
snack sticks using 31mm collagen casing. I am using my meat grinder for stuffing, recently I                                                                       
purchased a stuffing plate, and it improved the texture. It is not mushy                                                                                       
anymore. For the last batch I mixed 50% beef to 50% venison. ( we do not eat pork) Total 7LB meat.                                                           
I also used a meat thermometer for the first time. Oh man! it takes some time to get                                                                         
internal temperature to 150. It is quite possible I under cooked in past.                                                                                   
Oh well I am still alive :). I need your help to resolve couple of issues.                                                                                   
The texture is great, however collagen casing is dry ( but tastes very good). It is hard to remove                                                                                   
the casing. Probably adding fat should have resolved this issue. What else                                                                                   
can I do?                                                                                                                                                   

Thank you in advance.

Telman

OU812

31mm snack sticks ? Kinda large for me but o well

If you want a smaller (28mm 32mm 36mm 40mm) casing that you can smoke and peal than you might try a "cellulose" casing. The collagen casing is designed to adhere to the proteins in the meat and cellulose are designed to peal off like a hot dog.

OU812

One more thing you can not eat cellulose casings they are kinda like plastic but let smoke and air move through. Collagen on the other hand are edible.

telman

Wife just called me at work. She says the casing is pealing off easily since it is cooled down  ;D

telman

Thanks OU812 you are right it is large for the snack stick, butI slice them like sausage. I did not have much time to use 21mm casing, it is little time consuming. Also stuffing is still problem for me :( , since it is very hard to use a meat grinder.  I am going to invest on proper stuffer soon.

OU812

Quote from: telman on September 22, 2009, 09:25:32 AM
Wife just called me at work. She says the casing is pealing off easily since it is cooled down  ;D

Another way to get the collagen casing off is to dip them it boiling water for a min or two and they almost peal them self's. Thats how I do hot dogs, as soon as they come out of the smoker just dip and they slip right off.

I myself like the snap you get when you bite into it, some do some dont.

Glad she was able to get it off with to much trouble.

Maybe a stuffer is in Santa's big red bag with your name on it this year  ;D

telman

Quote from: OU812 on September 22, 2009, 09:41:19 AM
Another way to get the collagen casing off is to dip them it boiling water for a min or two and they almost peal them self's. Thats how I do hot dogs, as soon as they come out of the smoker just dip and they slip right off.

I myself like the snap you get when you bite into it, some do some dont.

Glad she was able to get it off with to much trouble.

Maybe a stuffer is in Santa's big red bag with your name on it this year  ;D

Great! thanks for the tip. I will keep in mind. I need so many things from Santa :). (in case Santa is reading I need stuffer, binocular, knife, range finder and etc  ;D )