• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

anyone have exp using in dead of winter

Started by GINLAAN, September 22, 2009, 01:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GINLAAN

Hello,

I live in new hampshire and it gets pretty cold here in the winter. I grill all year long and am wondering if any one has exp with this unit in the winter time outside. Will it even heat up to cooking temps or is it a lost cause? I do smoke on a charcoal smoker during the winter but that can get pretty cold sometimes watching the fire and stuff. So i am looking at this unit to replace my normal smoker but of course if its not going to cook during the coldest months here it may not be what i am after.

Thanks

Kerry

Wildcat

Does fine for me in the Winter. Of course I live in FL. All of the Canadians and Alaskans say as long as you block the wind from the vent that it works just fine. just a little slower.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I am sure, like wildcat said it should not be a problem. The Canadians and the Alaskans should be here shortly and they would give you more accurate testimonials about Bradley's performance in their neck of the woods.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

OU812

First off welcome to the fun

I'm not from the great white north but here in Nebraska it gets pretty dam cold and always windy in the winter. I have my smoker in a shed and have no troubles maintaining heat just a little slow to get started but when your up and rolling it holds pretty steady temps.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Wildcat on September 22, 2009, 01:18:22 PMDoes fine for me in the Winter. Of course I live in FL...

As soon as I saw the topic, I hit the thread intending to leave almost exactly the same reply (except that I'm luckier than Wildcat in my choice of location).  I gotta start logging on more often.

Habanero Smoker

I'm a little south of you, in New York. Our winters haven't been getting that cold in the past six years or so, but I have smoked in the low to mid 20's. As mentioned earlier, it takes longer to get the smoker up to your set temperature, but once there it will hold the temperature fine. Using hot water in the bowl will help with preheating. Protect the whole smoker from wind; with some type of wind block. Place a brick or an item(s) with a lot of mass in your smoker; that will help with heat recovery after you have opened and closed the door.

If you store your smoker outside and it is really cold out, with the OBS don't turn on the generator at the beginning. Turn on the cabinet first, as it is heating up it will warm the generator and cause less wear and tear on moving parts. After turning on the generator, you will still need to allow time for the bisquette burner to heat up before use. Those who have the digital models that are stored outside, generally take the generator off and store it in a heated building.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Welcome Kerry,

Habs has you taken care of.  I'm a little south of you also  in CT but spent most of my life in NH  :).  I have only had my smoker for a year but smoked several times last winter with no problems.

Deb   

OU812

Habs is dead on about the generator

I have the digital and store it in the basement in the winter

oakville smoker

I am wondering about the same thing here in the Toronto area
It can be darn cold

I am thinking I am going to pick up a welding blanket from Princess Auto or some place like that and use it for insulation and warp the moker with it in pre heat mode

My other idea is to put a cheap range hood in the garage window, keep the smoker some place warmer and exhaust the smoke through
the range hood.

Now that the leaves are changing and we had 2 mornings of frost in my area last weekend, I think I had better start thinking more seriously about this.  I just could not imagine not using my smoker in the dead of winter
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

OU812

oakville you want to be carefull when wrapping the smoker with a blanket you need the generator to breathe as the intake for the smoker comes from the generator.
No air in = no air out and you will get lots of moistuer build up in the cabnet.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: OU812 on September 23, 2009, 05:47:28 AM
oakville you want to be carefull when wrapping the smoker with a blanket you need the generator to breathe as the intake for the smoker comes from the generator.
No air in = no air out and you will get lots of moistuer build up in the cabnet.

I totally agree.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

GINLAAN

Thanks for the info all. My threshold for doing anything outside usually is a limit of 15f any colder then that and i am inside :-) so if it works well in the twenty that is good for me. Thanks for the tips as well about turning the main heating element on first. Wind wont be too much of a issue if at all where i am parked outside its pretty protected but it can still get to you if its really bad.

Thanks for the info again :-)